Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's Just Confirmed the End of Dept. Stores As We Know Them

Sounds like a dept. store turned bargain basement.  I sure miss Marshall Field & Co. when the family owned it.  There was nothing like that store.  The main mohership store on State St. had 7 restaurants, the 28th Shop (high end designer clothing) and floors of women's clothing to choose from plus it was never cluttered.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Back in the day, I bought most of my clothes from catalogs. Then internet shopping took over and I never looked back.

I don't have the time or the energy to go to the mall, look for a parking place, walk through several stores hoping to find what I'm looking for, hoping they have my size and color, and then trying to track someone down to make my purchase. 

I love the ability to shop anytime of the day or night from the comfort and SAFETY of my home. I know I'll get my purchase in a few days, almost always shipped for free, usually with a rebate and not wasting my time and energy (and gas) running around.

I was recently in our mall during the day and it was almost completely deserted. I was surprised to see so many shops were gone. I honestly don't know how our mall manages to say in business. Maybe they're busier at night or on weekends. 

I was surprised to see our JC Penney store now has a self serve shoe department. I used to love their shoe department, everything was displayed so nicely. Now it's a wreck; boxes shoved everywhere, shoes not put away, etc.

The Sears store was the worst. They used to have a big appliance department, now it's done to practically nothing. The salesmen were standing around with nothing to do. The bed and bath section was gone - nothing in its place but a huge empty space.

So many malls are hurting. I won't be surprised if in a few years more and more of them are gone.

Trusted Contributor

I would not expect other stores to follow.  Macy’s has been having problems for years .  Nordstrom took away a lot of Macy’s business.  I haven’t shopped in a Macy’s store in 15 years.  I do most of my shopping at Nordstrom & Kate Spade and for casual clothing I like Talbots.  I go to all the regular stores, not outlets.  I shop in White Plains, Connecticut and NYC.

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxoxwrote:

The Macys in White Plains NY has had a Backstage for over a year, we went in there once and it was no where as nice as TJ Maxx, it was dark and unorganized and the merchandise was junk

That Macy's has always been a train wreck. 

I worked at the WP Macy's in the 70's.  Loved it way back then.  It's sad to see what has happened to my once-favorite store.  When I need a Macy's fix, I drive to the one in Paramus.Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

From the range of comments here, it seems that Macy's has a problem keeping their individual stores up to snuff. The store here in the Edison Mall in Fort Myers is still a nice place to shop. The women's store is actually separate from the men's/children's/and home goods, but both are in good shape, have decent staffing, products, and prices. 

Respected Contributor

Our local Macy's has been a mess for years.

Esteemed Contributor

Sad to hear this. Our Macy's in our local mall is still there for the time being. So many good stores gone though the years. Woman Sad