Respected Contributor

Re: Macy's Just Confirmed the End of Dept. Stores As We Know Them

The Macy's where I live is still a lovely store and my favorite place to shop.  Always very busy as well.  I'm not an online shopper at all.  Prefer to look around the stores, try things on and check over items before I buy.  Don't want the hassle of sending things back.  I'll only buy online if I know how something fits, etc and the store doesn't happen to have the size or color, etc.

Honored Contributor

The link claims only 25% of their stores will have Backstage. In the New York area all the Macy's near me have them. They have a great Toy section..now that toy stores are hard to find. The Manhattan 34th Street store is still as beautiful as ever...

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxoxwrote:

The Macys in White Plains NY has had a Backstage for over a year, we went in there once and it was no where as nice as TJ Maxx, it was dark and unorganized and the merchandise was junk

That Macy's has always been a train wreck. 

Honored Contributor

@handygal2wrote:

According to an article in Business Insider, Macy's is morphing into a discount store. Some highlights from the article:

I believe it.  I haven't shopped at Macys in at least 5 years.  I went to several in the area, in DC and in the suburbs, and they were always pretty disgusting and messy (and the quality was not there IMO).

I wonder if the flagship store on Herald Square in NYC is any better; I would hope so.

Esteemed Contributor

I have not gone to a mall to shop for clothes in YEARS.  The last thing I looked for and bought in a mall was a dress for my son's wedding in 2014.  Even that was not an enjoyable experience.  I hate the awful dressing rooms.  I can never find anyone to help if I need it.  And everything looks messy and picked over.  I am happy to buy my clothes at QVC.  HOWEVER, I am spending more money because I know I can find less expensive items in the local stores, I get talked into buying things I don't really need, and I have incurred return shipping charges.  So I just have to remain vigilant about my spending at all times.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

On a side note -- did anyone else see the news report that AMAZON pays no Federal Income tax?  They make billions of dollars every year.  Yet due to some tax loop holes and legal accounting tricks, they pay no income tax.  Something needs to change in our tax laws if that is the case.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Valued Contributor

Giant bummer

It will end up with extremely expensive shops that don't show price tags (I never go in) and the discount stores.  

In other words, the rich vs the not-so-rich.  In other words, midle class kaput.  It is evident in our government, unfortunately.

I never begrudged the wealthy, after all we are a capitalist society, but when it completely eliminates the middle class, it reminds me of an oligarchy.    

Honored Contributor

Macy's used to have a gorgeous store 40 minutes away. When Federated started buying up stores, things started to change for the worse; I saw this happen with our local department store as it morphed into Macy's. At first, everyone was thrilled because it was MACY'S and the one we all knew was fantastic; then THAT Macy closed. Then the firings began: long time SA's were let go. Long term Managers were let go. What replaced them? People who didn't give a poop and only a few employees per floor instead of per area. It became a junk store. A good number of my friends worked in the old department store before Macy's took over; they couldn't be fired due to their contracts with the cosmetic lines they were working; the stories were BAD about the problems going on behind the scenes.

I feel for the employees who raised families working there and now, many widowed or divorced, will have to find work elsewhere. It stinks.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lipswrote:

On a side note -- did anyone else see the news report that AMAZON pays no Federal Income tax?  They make billions of dollars every year.  Yet due to some tax loop holes and legal accounting tricks, they pay no income tax.  Something needs to change in our tax laws if that is the case.

@Puppy Lips yep, I read they leveraged tax credits.  Must be nice!

Honored Contributor

rarely shop at our macys. it is usually unorganized, difficult to find help, and their coupon rules leave a lot to be desired. i much prefer to shop at nordstrom.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein