Honored Contributor

Re: MY LOCAL MACYS IS CLOSING

@wagirl

Sorry to hear that your Macy’s is closing. We are down to one in my city. My store has a really good selection of items. It is neat, clean, and the sales people are nice. I would hate to lose it.

I do shop a bit online, but I still prefer shopping in person. I make fewer mistake purchases and don’t have to deal with shipping things back that didn’t work. 

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50I miss Marshall Fields too. I grew up with that store. My mother, aunt, cousin, and I would go there for Saturday lunch, and they had models come in with some of the apparel for sale. My cousin and I took "manners" lessons there; we were taught how to politely answer the phone, shake hands, set a table correctly, etc. The class culminated in a dinner with our parents at Marshall Fields. When my father was out of town on buisness, my mom & I sometimes took the train in and for dinner at the Walnut Room and shopping. After living in NY and now the west coast, I would also miss Macy's. With the Thanksgiving parade and apparel and home basics, etc. I kind of feel like it's an American icon.

Honored Contributor

That would make me sad too

My nearest Macy's is about 14 miles away but it's in a great little mall with very good parking (underground)

I'm not a huge internet shopper, maybe buy 1 thing a month, but I've had good luck shopping online on the Macy's website.    Good sales & often free shipping.

I know it's not the same

I love my Macy's.

I think we only have 2 in the entire state.

I grew up outside of NYC, I always made a beeline to Macy's at Herald Square when I was in the city.

Trusted Contributor

We still have Macy’s but the nearest ones are 30 minutes away, one north, one south.  All of our Bon Ton stores closed and that (Carson‘s and Boston Store) was really where I bought almost everything. I am lost without them. I have not found a good substitute as yet. I like Dillard’s and will shop there when in Arizona.  

Respected Contributor

I want Macy’s to survive. On line just does not cut it on an everyday basis. I see smaller versions forming and I Hope it happens before it’s too late.
Respected Contributor

I have nearly always done well price and quality-wise with Macy’s. Need a size- they send it quickly. Quality- it’s there. Stand behind products- yes.
Trusted Contributor

Both of my local Macy's have closed. The one that was fifteen minutes away closed about three years ago, the one less than ten minutes away closed last year. I was really spoiled having two that close to me. There are still three within a 45 minute drive, but it's not the same. No more spur of the moment Macy's trips. There goes my Platinum status!

Honored Contributor

I feel your pain!  I lost mine about a year ago!  I truly loved that store.  It was my go to place and I always found what I was looking for.  It was really well stocked and the staff they had were long-time employees and so nice and always very helpful.  I still miss it so much.  There are no other really nice stores close to me.  The nearest Macy's is about an hour away.  I went there maybe a month ago and I just couldn't stand it.  It is much larger but it was so messy and unorganized and the staff seemed so cold and impersonal.  I left without buying a thing.  Shopping on line is just not the same.  I used to get the best deals at my Macy's.  It's truly sad.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I hate Macy.  I go in it only to take a short cut to Nordstrom.  Now that is a store I would be upset to see closed. Nordstrom is my store.  I'm indifferent over Macy.

Trusted Contributor

I grew up loving Macy's.  My school friends and I would walk down to our local store on Saturdays. 

I ended up working there part time in the early 80's.  I bought my first pair of 14K earrings at Macy's.  Paid $50 and was mad at myself for paying that much!  I still have them and they are just as beautiful 40 yrs later.

That store closed and went in our first mall.  It was still a nice store, but the last few years it has become some kind of outlet.  Shame.

We have a large Macy's in Yonkers and I could drive to Danbury, CT, or Palisades Mall.  I really like the store in Paramus, but I rarely take the ride anymore.