Honored Contributor

I've always wondered why no one has opened a chain of boutique shops that always carry clothes for all seasons at all times.

It wouldn't have to be a huge selection of styles or colors...just the basics. When I travel to a warm climate when it's winter in NC, a bathing suit, capris or short sleeve tees are no where to be found. In reverse, when hot and humid in NC, and I need a lightweight sweater or raincoat to visit relatives in a cooler climate or travel to a cooler climate...out of luck.

When I was younger, I had this idea to open nationwide boutiques and was going to start on a small scale with a few girlfriends who were also interested and wanted "in". 

Then life became busy, I finally got both kids into high school and I went to school to metalsmithing. The rest is history.

Honored Contributor

Re: MY DREAM FASHION BOUTIQUE

I would love to own a dress boutique and try to help women feel special and good about themselves. I'd like to make part of it non profit and do the prom dress giveaway thing. And something for older women, like job interview outfits and special occasion outfits for those who can't afford such things.

That would be my hit the lottery dream.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

What about those ads you see on TV that sell womens' clothing? You place an order and they send you clothes that are suppose to fit you. I would imagine they would sell clothes for all seasons all the time because, as a national companies, they would have to sell to women in all climates at the same time. Their warehouses must be huge!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

What about those ads you see on TV that sell womens' clothing? You place an order and they send you clothes that are suppose to fit you. I would imagine they would sell clothes for all seasons all the time because, as a national companies, they would have to sell to women in all climates at the same time. Their warehouses must be huge!

Thanks, but not as much fun as being able to walk into a store in mid-winter (here) and look for swimsuits. Also, sometimes in winter, looking for sleeveless shell to wear under blazer or sweater. Good luck with that!

Honored Contributor

Because of the rotation of clothing in manufacturing, that isn't possible.

Although it isn't a store you can walk in, amazon is the only place that can afford to pay for slow moving stock like you describe.  The prices would be very high because of what was offered.

They have taken over retail offering a lot of products anytime.

Honored Contributor

That's a nice dream!!!  I like it.

Some things which are very good ideas would be quite a huge undertaking and quite costly to accomplish.

I know that the internet and shopping there is supposed to be the --- be all and end all!

It has it's purpose but it's just not really fun as far as I'm concerned.

I love the actual -- real-time experience -- of being there.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

That's a nice dream!!!  I like it.

Some things which are very good ideas would be quite a huge undertaking and quite costly to accomplish.

I know that the internet and shopping there is supposed to be the --- be all and end all!

It has it's purpose but it's just not really fun as far as I'm concerned.

I love the actual -- real-time experience -- of being there.  

Hi @AngelPuppy1. I've emailed some of my favorite "basic clothing" sites like LL Bean and LandsEnd. They agreed that as more Boomers are traveling, retiring to differenting climates, there is a need for all season clothing all year long. They're thinking about ordering "extras" of the basics each season and having a separate name on line for these like one of them has Starfish. I'm excited it may come to be one day. Of course, by then I'll be way too old to go anywhere and probably belted in my scooter. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Because of the rotation of clothing in manufacturing, that isn't possible.

Although it isn't a store you can walk in, amazon is the only place that can afford to pay for slow moving stock like you describe.  The prices would be very high because of what was offered.

They have taken over retail offering a lot of products anytime.

ITA. My entire family owns and operates a clothing manufacturing business. I was supposed to go to college for fashion design, but changed last minute to Fine Arts. I still had design input & on payroll until my 50's. Off the subject....

Before designers stopped having "Cruise Wear" mid-winter, I was set for travel or adding "summer" odds and ends to my wardrobe. I always visitied my folks for a month or so when they were snowbirds in FL & it was great to pick up a new swimsuit, shorts, etc. in November. There was no such line that addressed winter climates in mid-summer. I purchased what I needed there.

I almost had the backing of my uncles to start a line to cover off season clothing & then the economy tanked and not only did they not want to risk extra capital, but people stopped traveling and weren't as mobile.

My dreams went up in smoke.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have that problem because today's fabrics are all seasonless.  The days of "winter" clothes and "summer" clothes went away (for me) several years ago.  The maxi dresses and skirts that I wear now, I'll wear in the Fall with cardigans and denim jackets.  When mid October comes, I will put the bright floral ones away but I'll wear the darker tone ones with heavy cardigans and tights and tall boots.  I'll wear my sleevelss black maxi dress over a crisp white button down, again with tall black leather boots.  Jeans are year round; tees in summer and sweaters and shirts in the colder months.  Those same button downs, I also wear in warm weather as jackets over tank tops with the sleeves rolled up to my elbows.  I don't wear pedal pushers and capris because they are strictly summer wear.  I wear ankle pants because in the summer, on a hot day, I can make a cuff and wear them with my thong sandals and a tank.  When Fall comes, I can wear those same pants as an ankle pant with my flats and a sweater.  Ditto for early Spring.  When winter comes, I wear the black ones and navy ones tucked into boots.  Same pants....year round wear.  At 57, I do remember when we dressed for the seasons but that was because the fabrics didn't span the seasons.  Modern fabrics do.  Color is the thing that determines seasonal wear for me.  For that reason, I don't buy bright colored bottoms but most of my bright and pastel tees work just tine under sweaters/jackets/blazers for that "pop of color".  White, black, navy, gray tees (of course) are seasonless.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't have that problem because today's fabrics are all seasonless.  They days of "winter" clothes and "summer" clothes went away (for me) several years ago.  The maxi dresses and skirts that I wear now, I'll wear in the Fall with cardigans and denim jackets.  When mid October comes, I will put the bright floral ones away but I'll wear the darker tone ones with heavy cardigans and tights and tall boots.  I'll wear my sleevels black maxi dress over a crisp white button down, again with tall black leather boots.  Jeans are year round; tees in summer and sweaters and shirts in the colder months.  Those same buttons, I also wear in warm weather as jackets over tank tops with the sleeves rolled up to my elbows.  I don't wear pedal pushers and capris because they are strictly summer wear.  I wear ankle pants because in the summer, on a hot day, I can make a cuff and weatther them with my thong sandals and a tank.  When Fall comes, I can wear those same pants as an ankle pant with my flats and a sweater.  Ditto for early Spring.  When winter comes, I wear the black ones and navy ones tucked into boots.  Same pants....year round wear.  At 57, I do remember when we dressed for the seasons but that was because the fabrics didn't span the seasons.  Modern fabrics do.  Color is the thing that determines seasonal wear for me.  For that reason, I don't buy bright colored bottoms but most of my bright and pastel tees work just tine under sweaters/jacket/blazers for that "pop of color".  White, black, navy, gray tees (of course) are seasonless.  

Great point. I always dress in neutrals. Never wear maxi dresses, skirts or any dresses, though.