Honored Contributor

Re: MY BEACH OBSERVATIONS

[ Edited ]

I saw all kinds of outfits on the beach when I was on a vacation to Florida's Gulf Coast a few weeks ago. 

We go to this area regularly, and I always see a variety of beach apparel. From morning to night I saw just about everything...

Lots of people walk on the beach and wear whatever suits them. I saw long flowy pants, rolled up jeans, crop pants, Capri pants, pedal pushers, skorts, & various lengths of shorts. I saw short and long sleeve tees, sweatshirts, tank tops, cardigans, hoodies, and casual knee length and maxi dresses. 

My guess is some of the items I saw were natural fibers and others were poly or blends. 

Of course, there were swimsuits with & without coverups too. 

I didn't see any designer handbags on the beach. There were lots of canvas or straw totes, baseball caps, broader rim hats, and sunglasses. 

Respected Contributor
As someone who lives someplace landlocked, when I say I could wear it at the beach, I mean I would pack it for my beach vacation.
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs I have both books and a Kindle. I would NEVER take an electronic reader to the beach for obvious reasons. If I get sand in a book, no harm done.

As you say, you are one person making the observation at one beach.

Honored Contributor

I for one will not be wearing all that garb on the beach!

Someone may wear a short, simple, cotton knit dress on the beach before it warms up, maybe or to and from a pool in a complex which I haven't cared to go to in years.

Honored Contributor

If you live at the beach--as in walking distance, you're not always going to be wearing a bathing suit.

We like to sling our beach chairs over our shoulder and sit and read or just simply sit.  

I wear shorts, capris, casual skirts and dresses of all lengths and look for sea glass or simply walk the shoreline.

Now if you pack up for a day or a stay at the beach, I can see just thinking about wearing a bathing suit and something to cover up or wear for the drive home or to your hotel.

Respected Contributor

New Jersey and Delaware coasts here.   What @wilma said.  Variety galore here.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

As one who is surrounded by beaches, I concur.  People are in their swimsuits, board shorts, sun shirts, cut-offs, tanks, etc.  People do not dress in all the "cutesy" beach outfits.  It's too freakin' hot!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@tends2dogs 

As one who is surrounded by beaches, I concur.  People are in their swimsuits, board shorts, sun shirts, cut-offs, tanks, etc.  People do not dress in all the "cutesy" beach outfits.  It's too freakin' hot!

And I also agree. I live relatively close to many Florida gulf beaches. We go regularly. I have never seen any attire other than what was mentioned by the OP and surferwife. Guess it varies from region to region. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

OP here.  When I said "beach", I meant on the beach, in the sand, walking the shoreline.  Sorry, no dresses seen.  It is close to 90 degrees.  Walking on the pier is another thing.....maybe a cover up of sorts, but sorry, no liquid knit cardigans.  

This has been interesting reading other's observations and opinions.  Thanks for taking the time to post!  Gotta go to the beach now......Woman Wink.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

OP here.  When I said "beach", I meant on the beach, in the sand, walking the shoreline.  Sorry, no dresses seen.  It is close to 90 degrees.  Walking on the pier is another thing.....maybe a cover up of sorts, but sorry, no liquid knit cardigans.  

This has been interesting reading other's observations and opinions.  Thanks for taking the time to post!  Gotta go to the beach now......Woman Wink.

@tends2dogs  I misunderstood. I wear cover up types of things in the car to the beach, on boardwalk as I mentioned and don't take cover up off until I'm settled in my place in the sand. I don't go from my home, to the car, to the beach in my bathing suit. Nice thread.