Respected Contributor

Re: MOST "SPENDY" CLOTHING ITEMS

For the most part, I buy classic quality items on sale. I seldom pay full price for anything.

One of my biggest splurges started a few years ago.  While in Italy, I went to a designer and had custom made pants. They measured me every which way and suggested what would be the most flattering and classic style. (the suggestion was a no waist band that fitted 2" below my waist, no pockets, a back zipper and straight leg) Initially I had a black pair and a white pair made.  I loved them.  Since then, I've had others made. I do a video chat so they can see my body and I have my measurements taken by a friend. So far, I've never been disappointed.  I will admit, it is a splurge but when I consider how many pairs of pants I've purchased and ended up donating, this splurge is well worth it.

Respected Contributor

Long dressy gowns.  I like pretending I am a princess!  Also great for New Year's Eve and deluxe cruises.  They can be recycled almost forever as long as I do not gain weight.

Favorite brands:  Rene Ruiz, Marchesa, Tadashi Shoji, Adrianna Papell, Aidan Mattox and Teri Jon by Ricki Freeman.

I own them all.  

I also have sparkling Jimmy Choo shoes to match. 

My favorite purses are Balenciaga, but I do not use them with my long gowns.  

I am always willing to spend a bit more to feel glamorous!

However, QVC is my go-to place for most casual clothes.

Honored Contributor

I am a bargain shopper. I like pretty dresses and blazers and handbags. But I always buy for the lowest prices.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

For the most part, I buy classic quality items on sale. I seldom pay full price for anything.

One of my biggest splurges started a few years ago.  While in Italy, I went to a designer and had custom made pants. They measured me every which way and suggested what would be the most flattering and classic style. (the suggestion was a no waist band that fitted 2" below my waist, no pockets, a back zipper and straight leg) Initially I had a black pair and a white pair made.  I loved them.  Since then, I've had others made. I do a video chat so they can see my body and I have my measurements taken by a friend. So far, I've never been disappointed.  I will admit, it is a splurge but when I consider how many pairs of pants I've purchased and ended up donating, this splurge is well worth it.

Your pant style would be my most flattering style as well for my body. I have two pairs of pants like this, but w/ a front zipper. They are not Italian (sigh). I think it's fabulous that you treated yourself to custom made pants (or anything). Classic, well fitting clothes in a great fabric, are timeless items that are worth the "splurge". 

I am not a fan of disposable clothing for myself. I am willing to pay more for quality - but I do like to buy when on sale, if possible. Since I've recently decided to retire, I don't "need" many new items and I do think it's going to be hard for me to stop wanting to buy things for my previous life. Smiley Happy 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

Shoes.  My feet need comfort and good support.  

Respected Contributor

@kate2357   When you retire it can be difficult to change what you buy.   I am still drawn to certain silhouettes.

I retired in June, 2017, and I still wear some of the same type of clothes  at home except I can now wear the actual color blue, blue jeans with my blazers and shirts.

At work we could wear jeans in ANY color but blue when they changed the dress code at some point.

Of course I don't wear business suits at home but I do love my blazers and slacks with a comfortable pair of shoes.

Congratulations.  Retirement I found was wonderful.  Took me no time at all to adjust.  Biggest thing I missed was a  few of  my office mates but I could still see them--just without the work stress!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

All of the above! LOL!

@Puppy Lips - I have 3 close friends I do everything with. Two of us like nice bags  and rotate them but would never spend over a certain amount on them. One doesn't rotate a whole lot but will carry only D & B. The fourth one, who could just about get anything she wants without blinking, carries a black bag from Target. When that one needs replaced she just goes and gets another one! She doesn't understand our obsession! Her MIL gave her a D&B right before the pandemic started!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

So, which clothing/accessorie items are you willing to spend a little more money on?

For me, it's shoes, bags and bras/panties. I can "cheat" with less expensive tops and pants.

Shoes, Coats, bras. 

Shoes, I will spend good money for because by now they must be comfortable.  If I see a shoe from a brand that I normally buy for comfort, I will give it serious consideration ~ even if it costs a little more.

Bras are another thing that I won't skimp on for comfort.  There are of course, bras that are comfortable that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on.  Comfort first.  Aside from that, I have so many bra styles for various garments. 

I must have warm coats and sweater coats.  Cashmere, Alpaca, Wool blends, Shearling and so on.  I have nice puffers too.  But for the coldest of days it's Shearling.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

I worked in a high-end retail department store for a number of years and everyday the merchandisers would be hard at work moving things around, putting up new clothing items etc...so that everytime you entered the store it looked completely new and different.

This is when I became a clothing snob.  I cannot afford the high-end designers such as Armani, D&G, YSL, Chanel, etc...but I do try and afford the lesser high-end designers such as Alice & Olivia, Milly, Smythe, etc....

I'd rather have one really unique and fashionable item than 1/2 dozen cheapo things, but of course, cheapo things do have their place in the wardrobe. 

There is nothing worse than dirty cheap shoes or an old worn out of date bag or wallet being carried around or worn daily for 20 years.  or worse yet, dirty sneakers and sandals.

My most spendy items would be good jackets, blouses/shirts, jeans and shoes, although now its all about the Birkenstocks for me.  Woman LOL

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

I can usually find nice things at reasonable prices so I don't spend a ton of money usually on anything. I have splurged in the past on shoes, boots, handbags, tailored trousers, blazers, leather jackets, and outerwear coats. I still have some of these more expensive items.