Honored Contributor

Lyocell fabric - your opinions

I read about this fabric in a murder mystery of all places. Jessica Fletcher of Murder She Wrote fame mentioned how easily it travels. Not a wrinkle to be found! I'm curious to know what others have to say about their Lyocell clothing. Most importantly, is it cool and comfortable? I need breathable fabrics.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lyocell fabric - your opinions

[ Edited ]

@AuntG,

I hadn't heard of it but looked it up and it and bamboo are supposed to be the most breathable fabrics even over cotton and linen so good for the summer (or all year).

I think it is very hard to find fabrics that are breathable.

(I love watching Murder She WroteSmiley Happy

This has good info (taken from shefinds.com)

In laymens terms, that means fabrics like bamboo and lyocell are the most breathable and therefore the most ideal on scorching summer days. “These are natural rayons that come from plants. Since plants cannot move, the original state of these fibers had to keep the plant cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and guess what? They do the same to you!” Waddell explains.

Your next best choices? Linen, silk, cotton and hemp. “Look for lightweight knits or wovens,” in these fabrics Waddell says.

The Worst Fabrics For Summer

The least breathable fabrics include acrylic, nylon, vinyl, polyester, fleece and other acetates. When it’s really warm, avoid these all costs unless you enjoy sweating a lot.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG Lyocell is very soft, but I have found it to not be as carefree as described in Murder She Wrote.  I have to touch it up with an iron after laundering, and when packed for travel it may require a little steaming to be wear ready for me.  It is airy light and comfortable on the body though, so based on what you are looking for, it is a fabric you should consider in clothing.   

Esteemed Contributor

Since I discovered this fabric years ago I don't want to wear anything else!  It is so comfortable .  Some of my pieces are lighter than others, but both wearable in warm weather.  I have only traveled with a couple of my lighter weight Lyocell pieces and they were wrinkled upon arrival, but within no time the wrinkles fell out.  My Side Stitch pieces are a bit more substantial than some of my other pieces and I love them all.

Valued Contributor

I can tell you this.  I read that lyocell sheets are great for warm sleepers (that would be me).  Tried a set and absolutely love them. They keep me cool and wash and dry beautifully.  Very minimal wrinkling.  Judging by this, I would think clothing made of this fabric would be great on hot days.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG 

I just washed a lyocell top from Karen Kane and dried on a huggable hanger.  It just needs to be ironed.  Two minutes, no sweat!!!

Honored Contributor

Lyocell is the same thing as Tencel. It's a nice fabric.

Honored Contributor

Does anyone know if it is offered in any of QVC's brands, like Isaac, SG, QF........?

Respected Contributor

I have two QVC tops in lyocel (tencel is the brand I believe); one is Sidestitch, the other Laurie Felt, both look like washed denim and I love them.  Light, easy and comfy, wrinkles do drop out.  I steamed them both when I got them and haven't needed to do a thing since.  Wash and hang to dry.

Also have the Property Bros. TSV sheets and just started using them, blend of cotton and lyocel, love.  Feel great and look smooth and beautiful.  Again, washed them and dried on a rack.  I don't use a dryer.