Respected Contributor

Re: Love a frame kiss-lock handbag—reinvented!

@Chi-town girl 

I teach an upper division course The Science of Happiness. {Fills in a nanosecond.} Week 2 students are given the assignment of not complaining about anything for 21 days. Plus journaling each day (their complaints and those they heard from other students/parents/friends/coworkers).

First journal entries are typically:

This is going to be interesting! I'm not much of a complainer, but love this assignment.

Second journal entries:

OMG I can't believe how much I complain everyday about stupid stuff.

Since complaining blocks happiness, we start by retraining their brains.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like this new crossbody bag! The way this model is dressed/styled is so 'me'!

Her new mauve color is beautiful Heart and I love her green tone

A399511
Patricia Nash Croco-Embossed Ellora Multi Compartment Crossbody

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@Chi-town girl 

I teach an upper division course The Science of Happiness. {Fills in a nanosecond.} Week 2 students are given the assignment of not complaining about anything for 21 days. Plus journaling each day (their complaints and those they heard from other students/parents/friends/coworkers).

First journal entries are typically:

This is going to be interesting! I'm not much of a complainer, but love this assignment.

Second journal entries:

OMG I can't believe how much I complain everyday about stupid stuff.

Since complaining blocks happiness, we start by retraining their brains.

You're making me think @1Professor  Woman Wink Very interesting assignment!!!!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

A399508
Patricia Nash Rose Tooled Leather Avadia Box Bag

Another interesting green tone

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl 

It's based on solid neuroscience, which they study during that assignment.

Unknown.jpeg

I give them purple bracelets from the world-wide Complaint Free Revolution. Every time they complain, no matter how small, they have to switch the bracelet to the other wrist (which is irritating to the brain).

We study habits and what psychology has learned about how to stop one or start one!

Unknown-1.jpeg

I get students from bio-science, physics, engineering, history, communication with a long wait list; they say it has changed their lives.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing @1Professor  - wish I coukd take your class!

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl 

Students ask me for extra bracelets for teammates, friends.

For parents who heard about it and want to join.

Some parents bought bracelets for their entire office!

Respected Contributor

Hi @Chi-town girl  I was trying not to order this but my husband egged me on. He said, "Get it for me for Father's Day and I'll let you use it. " 😝 That sold me, so I chose magenta croco and hit speed buy! Did you get this one? I know you are the biggest PN fan. 

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@Chi-town girl     I own and wear 3 of her scarves (all the antique flower patterns)!

As to complainers, since I study/teach neuroscience and complaining—constant complaining enhances the negative neural connections in the brain, such that chronic complainers (let alone those who chronically post complaints) are less able to actually SEE positive things around them.

@1Professor. You teach neuroscience and you are a former trial lawyer too (as you've posted in the LOGO forum)?

Well that's kind of an interesting field switch. 

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@Chi-town girl     I own and wear 3 of her scarves (all the antique flower patterns)!

As to complainers, since I study/teach neuroscience and complaining—constant complaining enhances the negative neural connections in the brain, such that chronic complainers (let alone those who chronically post complaints) are less able to actually SEE positive things around them.

@1Professor. You teach neuroscience and you are a former trial lawyer too (as you've posted in the LOGO forum)?

Well that's kind of an interesting field switch. 

@Pearlee 

I was a trial attorney and trainer of other attorneys and wanted to understand jurors and persuasion more deeply.

I took my Masters and PhD studying jurors and jury deliberations.

I write books for trial lawyers and still do workshops and lectures for lawyers.

For university students, neuroscience illuminates social behaviors, how our brains really work. So I teach The Science of Happiness, but also Friendships & Romances, Peer Groups, Persuasion, Interpersonal Communication, and (I'm a folklorist, too) Multicultural Folktales & Storytelling.

*** Mostly wearing Lori Goldstein's LOGO in the classroom (which finally resumes in September)! The whimsy of LOGO is perfect for diverse thinking!