Esteemed Contributor

Re: Love Susan Graver's clothing line... but, WHY SO EXPENSIVE?

On 11/30/2014 Kathleen said:
On 11/30/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/30/2014 Vivian said: I think it's crucial to keep complaining about excessive price increases and outrageous S&H charges. QVC personnel do look at our posts. When hundreds of entries point to our unhappiness with certain policies and practices, we have a chance for change, even if it's a remote chance. If we stop complaining, QVC could get an inadvertant message that we don't want to send.

Sadly , for every person who posts that the prices are too high a dozen come back at her saying they aren't too high at all. I don't know where those individuals shop but they are absolutely too high for me for the most part and then the excessive S&H charges pretty much takes me out of the QVC market except for clearance items. And I am not - as some other poster implied "too poor" to spend more , I just refuse to pay more for items than they are worth. I want value for my money and $50 for a 100% polyester top is not value for your money. I can get the same top at Bells for $20, so that is exactly what I do - and there is no S&H.

1. Not all polyester is created equal ... I never heard of Bells ... so I can't compare.

2. I can get a similar poly top at Chico's for twice as much.

I agree with Kathleen. I am not a regular Susan Graver customer because I simply don't care for many of the designs, but I have felt the fabric, and it does NOT compare to a lot of the $20 similar fabric tops one can find. Her items actually feel more (and lately look) similar to Chico's. The difference would be price as the regular price of the Chico's item would be 2X that of the SG one. I know that Chico's has coupons and sales. I'm only making a quality comparison from my perspective.

Respected Contributor

On 12/1/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/30/2014 september said:

I wouldn't be sad about finding the SG version of the Soft Surroundings tunic. First of all...I don't like scarves, so wouldn't want that part...second....dry clean only items are a lot more expensive to maintain,and third...The SG version is about 1/3 the price!

Happy Housewife, I'm surprised to see you here, pointing out the superior qualities of the more expensive top. usually, you're more in favor of buying more affordable items, and not spending more than necessary.

In this case, for me, QVC wins!

I don't mind at all paying for something if it is worth the money. I detest the paying too much for something so I am not getting value for the money. For instance paying $50 for a cheap polyester top from SG.

Do you speak from experience? Do you order clothing from Susan Graver that has not held up in the laundry or pills after a few wearings? If you haven't ordered her clothing how do you judge the quality and value for the money?????{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

I wouldn't be sad about finding the SG version of the Soft Surroundings tunic. First of all...I don't like scarves, so wouldn't want that part...second....dry clean only items are a lot more expensive to maintain,and third...The SG version is about 1/3 the price!

Happy Housewife, I'm surprised to see you here, pointing out the superior qualities of the more expensive top. usually, you're more in favor of buying more affordable items, and not spending more than necessary.

I don't mind at all paying for something if it is worth the money. I detest the paying too much for something so I am not getting value for the money. For instance paying $50 for a cheap polyester top from SG.

Do you speak from experience? Do you order clothing from Susan Graver that has not held up in the laundry or pills after a few wearings? If you haven't ordered her clothing how do you judge the quality and value for the money?????{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I used to buy SG a lot but now that everything is her lightweight practically see through double knit polyester junk - anything I buy ends up sent back so I no longer even watch her shows. On a rare occasion I may see her on another show with something in a ponte or something and be interested but I don't even watch when it is liquid knit. I ordered a ponte knit dress of hers a few days ago that was a lunchtime special for $24 - the price most of her stuff should be.

Respected Contributor

On 12/1/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

I used to buy SG a lot but now that everything is her lightweight practically see through double knit polyester junk - anything I buy ends up sent back so I no longer even watch her shows. On a rare occasion I may see her on another show with something in a ponte or something and be interested but I don't even watch when it is liquid knit. I ordered a ponte knit dress of hers a few days ago that was a lunchtime special for $24 - the price most of her stuff should be.

I am sorry you have had such a difficult experience with her clothing as of late. I hope she peruses the boards and reads some of the comments. Perhaps, she will address the issues I have often read here regarding the changes to her line.

I understand how frustrating it can be to really enjoy wearing a line of clothing only to see it change over the years.

Super Contributor

I thought Susan's puffer coat was very reasonably priced and cute, even with the shipping. I don't find her prices outrageous at all. I do agree you can go to Marshall's, Ross or even Macy's when they have a good sale, and get some great clothes that are well- priced. I like QVC, HSN and Shop HQ (which has great prices) for the convenience and the fact that colors and sizes are readily available. I love the ease of shopping at home.

Just my two cents worth!

Super Contributor

On 12/1/2014 Trix said:

<br />

1. Not all polyester is created equal ... I never heard of Bells ... so I can't compare.

I agree with Kathleen. I am not a regular Susan Graver customer because I simply don't care for many of the designs, but I have felt the fabric, and it does NOT compare to a lot of the $20 similar fabric tops one can find. Her items actually feel more (and lately look) similar to Chico's. The difference would be price as the regular price of the Chico's item would be 2X that of the SG one. I know that Chico's has coupons and sales. I'm only making a quality comparison from my perspective.

I have both Chico's and SG tops hanging next to each other in the closet. You have to look at the labels to tell them apart. They "feel" and "fit" exactly the same. Big difference ... the price.

Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 Kathleen said:
On 12/1/2014 Trix said:

<br />

I have both Chico's and SG tops hanging next to each other in the closet. You have to look at the labels to tell them apart. They "feel" and "fit" exactly the same. Big difference ... the price.

The quality or lack there of in her items is a matter of opinion and your opinion and mine are different. You are more than welcome to go ahead and over pay for anything that makes you happy.

Honored Contributor

She had some neat tops on the morning show today, but I HATE poly and won't buy it. I wish she had a wider selection of fabrics sometimes.

Trusted Contributor

WHY SO EXPENSIVE?

Because Susan likes to be rich? QVC likes to take your money? (Take your pick.)

Respected Contributor

I feel as you, Happy Housewife. I know how cheap these cookie cutter polyester blouses are to manufacturer in China. I don't like to be taken advantage of. Therefore, I don't buy SG.