Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Love Susan Graver's clothing line... but, WHY SO EXPENSIVE?

On 12/1/2014 Kathleen said:
On 12/1/2014 Trix said:
On 11/30/2014 Kathleen said:
On 11/30/2014 happy housewife said:

<br />

1. Not all polyester is created equal ... I never heard of Bells ... so I can't compare.

2. I can get a similar poly top at Chico's for twice as much.

I agree with Kathleen. I am not a regular Susan Graver customer because I simply don't care for many of the designs, but I have felt the fabric, and it does NOT compare to a lot of the $20 similar fabric tops one can find. Her items actually feel more (and lately look) similar to Chico's. The difference would be price as the regular price of the Chico's item would be 2X that of the SG one. I know that Chico's has coupons and sales. I'm only making a quality comparison from my perspective.

I have both Chico's and SG tops hanging next to each other in the closet. You have to look at the labels to tell them apart. They "feel" and "fit" exactly the same. Big difference ... the price.

Exactly! I wore her new leggings (with the seam in the front) to work today. I paired it with my LOGO TSV top w/chiffon in the back, a Susan Graver French terry jacket, my Clarks boots, and I swear I have never gotten more compliments! I was laughing coming home because everything I was wearing was from QVC (even my new BareMinerals make up) LOL! I love QVC!

Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 Sunshine Kate said:
On 12/1/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/30/2014 september said:

I wouldn't be sad about finding the SG version of the Soft Surroundings tunic. First of all...I don't like scarves, so wouldn't want that part...second....dry clean only items are a lot more expensive to maintain,and third...The SG version is about 1/3 the price!

Happy Housewife, I'm surprised to see you here, pointing out the superior qualities of the more expensive top. usually, you're more in favor of buying more affordable items, and not spending more than necessary.

In this case, for me, QVC wins!

I don't mind at all paying for something if it is worth the money. I detest the paying too much for something so I am not getting value for the money. For instance paying $50 for a cheap polyester top from SG.

I feel as you, Happy Housewife. I know how cheap these cookie cutter polyester blouses are to manufacturer in China. I don't like to be taken advantage of. Therefore, I don't buy SG.

You said it perfectly - I too feel that QVC is taking advantage of it's viewers. Thank you for saying it more succinctly than I did.

Super Contributor

On 11/30/2014 chrystaltree said: How many posts like this are we going to have to wade through? It's getting ridiculous now. We all want things we can't afford but we don't go around complaining that the stores are ",too expensive". There really are no expensive clothes on Qvc but there people who don't seem to understand that if they have money problems and can't afford things they want.....that doesn't mean the clothes are too expensive. It means they have to find cheaper places to shop. I know one thing, if couldnt afford Qvc, I wouldn't watch and I wouldn't visit .com. Why make myself feel bad? There are budget friendly retailers out there.

QVC - Quality, ?Value? and Convenience

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Regular Contributor

I think clothes have gone up everywhere. IMO QVC prices' are not too out of line. HSN-- DG2, G by Gilliana, Serena and so on very close to S.G. form what I like in price, with S.G. actually a little less. Now if it is a clearance price well HSN does that right. I would like to make two points. Just because it is cheaper doesn't make it the better deal. For instance, I found some $20 PJ and my mom got her's either QVC or HSN for about 45, you know the fleece, flannel cuties. Mine look like crud, I would be ashamed to be seen in them. I was careful to laundry them correctly, but I might as well have tossed the $20 out the window. So you get what you pay for.

Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

I wouldn't be sad about finding the SG version of the Soft Surroundings tunic. First of all...I don't like scarves, so wouldn't want that part...second....dry clean only items are a lot more expensive to maintain,and third...The SG version is about 1/3 the price!

Happy Housewife, I'm surprised to see you here, pointing out the superior qualities of the more expensive top. usually, you're more in favor of buying more affordable items, and not spending more than necessary.

I don't mind at all paying for something if it is worth the money. I detest the paying too much for something so I am not getting value for the money. For instance paying $50 for a cheap polyester top from SG.

Do you speak from experience? Do you order clothing from Susan Graver that has not held up in the laundry or pills after a few wearings? If you haven't ordered her clothing how do you judge the quality and value for the money?????{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I used to buy SG a lot but now that everything is her lightweight practically see through double knit polyester junk - anything I buy ends up sent back so I no longer even watch her shows. On a rare occasion I may see her on another show with something in a ponte or something and be interested but I don't even watch when it is liquid knit. I ordered a ponte knit dress of hers a few days ago that was a lunchtime special for $24 - the price most of her stuff should be.

I don't think Susan's liquid knit item are out of line price-wise for good poly jersey (not double knit). Many catalogers even charge a premium price for prints as opposed to solids. I think Susan has some beautiful abstract prints. I find that her clothing nicely fills a niche in my wardrobe, although I wouldn't want ALL SG liquid knit. I'm at the point now where I have enough but have bought some nice French terry things from her line.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 kachina624 said:
On 12/1/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

Do you speak from experience? Do you order clothing from Susan Graver that has not held up in the laundry or pills after a few wearings? If you haven't ordered her clothing how do you judge the quality and value for the money?????{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I used to buy SG a lot but now that everything is her lightweight practically see through double knit polyester junk - anything I buy ends up sent back so I no longer even watch her shows. On a rare occasion I may see her on another show with something in a ponte or something and be interested but I don't even watch when it is liquid knit. I ordered a ponte knit dress of hers a few days ago that was a lunchtime special for $24 - the price most of her stuff should be.

I don't think Susan's liquid knit item are out of line price-wise for good poly jersey (not double knit). Many catalogers even charge a premium price for prints as opposed to solids. I think Susan has some beautiful abstract prints. I find that her clothing nicely fills a niche in my wardrobe, although I wouldn't want ALL SG liquid knit. I'm at the point now where I have enough but have bought some nice French terry things from her line.
No matter what you chose to call it , the fabric is the same crummy poly from the 70s.And i have never been a fan of her prints , they are too busy for my taste.
Occasional Contributor

I too like Susan's line, but do get turned off at times because of the pricing. Why $38 for a sleeveless tank and $42.50 for panfs of the same material or $52 for a fleece vest and $54 for a fully lined boucle coat. Again, I like the line but they need to revisit the prices of the line starting at $19 for a lace trimmed tank.
Occasional Contributor

I'm to the point where I can barely watch Susan Graver when she's on. She is, as one person put it, constantly spinning, talking over the host and so full of herself. I have a lot of her clothing but lately I'm thinking it's become really over priced. I'm more and more often going to Denim and Company and I find myself returning to local department stores for the good buys. Shipping is too high and then if you don't like the item you get to pay shipping again. I'm not shopping for clothing at QVC as often as I once did.

Trusted Contributor

The short answer is because people will pay for it. It's all about what the market will bear, and apparently there are plenty of people who are willing to shell out double and triple what they'd pay for similar items at Kohls. Oh, and I suppose greed has something to do with it. Beyond that, I can't explain it. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Frequent Contributor

Apparently we have different definitions of what is overpriced or expensive; we don't all have the same income. I find Qs S&H quite high. Always looking for reduced S&H any way it comes, nonexistent for here.