Honored Contributor

Re: Love My $20 Dress, Hate The Waistline

@Greeneyedlady21wrote:

Had this dress in my favorites on HSN. LaBellum. It went down to $19.95 and I wanted the lavender so I got it.

Tried it on today and I love the top, the neckline, the sleeves, the length, the comfort. Hate the waistline because it's elastic and looks so unfinished and odd. Not able to blouson. Obviously a belt is the solution. I tried on a faux leather obi belt I got from Amazon. Looked bad. Actually that belt looks pretty bad with everything, should donate. Maybe a thinner belt would look better.

I think I need a soft stretchy belt that is not stiff. Structured belt=not good for any belly pooch or for the burnout velvet. Dress will look much better with a shaper.

I don't want to return the dress. It looks better than the photo. Color is so pretty, dusty lavender.

Anyone know of a great stretch belt I could try? I think I would go with black.

labellum-by-hillary-scott-burnout-velvet-dress-d-201710181412006_551638_alt27.jpg

@Greeneyedlady21

I'm with you and this is why I HATE elastic waistbands! There's always that puffy stuff immediately above and beneath and even the model looks heavier because of it!

I do think your idea of a belt is good solution but it needs to extend at least an inch in both directions to cover the 'damage' lol

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz I hope that belt is still available. Even if it doesn't work with the dress, I NEED THAT BELT. I don't of course, but it's gorgeous.  Thank you.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

It's gone😠

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Is the waist done with elastic? Maybe you can take it out and wear it looser. I do that all the time. I'm not one for that type of waist definition but a belt and no elastic would look better. Just get a seam ripper and go to town. 

Honored Contributor

I think you would need a wide, non-stretch belt, to adequately cover the elastic waist. Something like these faux-leather wrap belts:

IMG_4406.JPG

IMG_4407.JPG

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21wrote:

@magicmoodz I hope that belt is still available. Even if it doesn't work with the dress, I NEED THAT BELT. I don't of course, but it's gorgeous.  Thank you.

@Greeneyedlady21

Aww, this belt WAS available when I posted the picture. I was hoping you would see my post early because with such a great price, well you know how that goes.

I see neither gold nor silver with your dress and I'm not sure about a ribbon--too 80s for the fabric/style to my eye. I googled hematite and that is how I came upon the WHBM belt.  Good luck in your search!