Respected Contributor

Re: Lori Goldstein now at Macy's!

[ Edited ]

I thought I might post this here rather than create a new thread:  Lori is in contractual dispute with her employer,  Xcel Brands, due to lack of appearances on QVC, a violation of her employment contract.

Interesting,  since many posters noticed her absences in the recent past!

Source:  Xcel Brands Regulatory SEC 10-K Filing; April 24, 2024

"The company has withheld and rescheduled payment of the $963,642 earnout payment for 2023 due to alleged uncured breaches of the spokesperson’s obligations under an employment agreement.

On February 16, 2024, counsel to Lori Goldstein, a brand spokesperson for the company, advised the company that the Company was in material breach of the March 31, 2021 asset purchase agreement for failure to pay the earn-out achieved for 2023 in the amount of $963,642 (the “2023 Earn-out”) under the terms of the agreement, and is instead intending on paying such amount quarterly in 2024.

The Company does not dispute the amount of the 2023 Earn-out and advised Ms. Goldstein that due to Ms. Goldstein’s failure to make all of the QVC appearances as required by her employment agreement, the Company was not willing to pay the 2023 Earn-out in a lump sum but would make the payment in four quarterly installments. Failure to amicably resolve this dispute could adversely affect the Company’s cash flow and the availability of Ms. Goldstein’s services. To the extent that any of Ms. Goldstein’s services become unavailable to us, we will likely need to utilize our existing back-up guest hosts in lieu of Ms. Goldstein and/or find a replacement for Ms. Goldstein to promote the LOGO by Lori Goldstein brand.

Competition for skilled designers and high-profile brand promoters is intense, and compensation levels may be high, and there is no guarantee that we would be able to identify and attract a qualified replacement."

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@1Professor wrote:
The TSV just popped up online.
Boyfriend jeans …

@1Professor  I might order the tall/roasted cashew...size 4 or 6...

I have to check the size/measurement chart.

I noticed the tall/natural is only available in one size and w/o a pic...odd.

@Susan Louise I have seen that in the past.  Missing sizes and colors fill in later, if what you want is not there.  Or maybe call CS and ask.

@NYCLatinaMe  Thanks. Looking forward to the presentation. The only problem I find is that the colors on the video/tv are not as true as those in the pics/images, so I may have to wait til they are uploaded.

@Susan Louise  I shop a lot of logo and have found that there is a difference between the colors on video and the colors on the pictures online, and have found that video has more accurate colors.

I just looked at A647333, and the colors are very different on photos from the live video.   The lilac and coral on live video are much more vibrant and beautiful than the drab boring colors on the website photos.  I am guessing the colors on video are right, based on past experience, and am shopping!

This is supposed to be fashion? it looks like a 1950's maternity top. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@They Call Me MR Wilkes Wow, interesting. Wonder why she avoided appearances?  I for one didn't miss her or the clothes, not my style. Lets get rid of shark-bite hems, with cold shoulder tops, too!

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

It will be interesting to see what Macy's carries  .... 

The merchandise that LOGO has been showing on QVC recently has been disappointing.  I don't know if that's LOGO's doing, or QVC's selection of LOGO. 

I like the old LOGO. 

I SO agree with you. I rarely watch but came across a show last week. It was like I was watching a different designer, not Lori G. I just think she must have lost her good taste. The clothes were horrible.

Honored Contributor

@charsha wrote:

@They Call Me MR Wilkes Wow, interesting. Wonder why she avoided appearances?  I for one didn't miss her or the clothes, not my style. Lets get rid of shark-bite hems, with cold shoulder tops, too!

@charsha  Lori has mentioned that she hates to fly.  Not sure if that has anything to do with her reduced appearances.

She moved from NY & PA, to now live across the country in Palm Springs, CA.  She's in close proximity to her aging mother out there.  

Respected Contributor

@They Call Me MR Wilkes wrote:

I thought I might post this here rather than create a new thread:  Lori is in contractual dispute with her employer,  Xcel Brands, due to lack of appearances on QVC, a violation of her employment contract.

Interesting,  since many posters noticed her absences in the recent past!

Source:  Xcel Brands Regulatory SEC 10-K Filing; April 24, 2024

"The company has withheld and rescheduled payment of the $963,642 earnout payment for 2023 due to alleged uncured breaches of the spokesperson’s obligations under an employment agreement.

On February 16, 2024, counsel to Lori Goldstein, a brand spokesperson for the company, advised the company that the Company was in material breach of the March 31, 2021 asset purchase agreement for failure to pay the earn-out achieved for 2023 in the amount of $963,642 (the “2023 Earn-out”) under the terms of the agreement, and is instead intending on paying such amount quarterly in 2024.

The Company does not dispute the amount of the 2023 Earn-out and advised Ms. Goldstein that due to Ms. Goldstein’s failure to make all of the QVC appearances as required by her employment agreement, the Company was not willing to pay the 2023 Earn-out in a lump sum but would make the payment in four quarterly installments. Failure to amicably resolve this dispute could adversely affect the Company’s cash flow and the availability of Ms. Goldstein’s services. To the extent that any of Ms. Goldstein’s services become unavailable to us, we will likely need to utilize our existing back-up guest hosts in lieu of Ms. Goldstein and/or find a replacement for Ms. Goldstein to promote the LOGO by Lori Goldstein brand.

Competition for skilled designers and high-profile brand promoters is intense, and compensation levels may be high, and there is no guarantee that we would be able to identify and attract a qualified replacement."

@They Call Me MR Wilkes   I felt you would know.

Wow.

As a long-time trial attorney (now university professor), the repeated, sometimes lengthy, absences were signs.

*** Some blame, here, can be thrown at HER attorneys.

This was SO predictable when she moved across the country.

Having taught Contract Law for years, it doesn't take much to insert various scenarios into the contract to cover all possibilities.

"What if she doesn't appear as often as Xcel wanted?" was something that should have been expected, then accounted for, especially given potential medical issues, family issues. Lori turns 68 this August.

Super Contributor

I remember seeing IM at Sams Club a few years ago...... brand doesn't matter anymore per se; you see the same styles in all "brands" on the Q.... D&Co,Belle,IM,Logo,SG.....they sell off all or portions of their brand to corporations and thus, all the same. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As the owner of all permutations of "Lori Goldstein", in addition to QVC exclusive LOGO, it makes sense for Xcel to now exploit the name wherever possible (such as at Macy's.)

Xcel is in the primary business of licensing the brands and names and trademarks it owns.  If something happens with Lori at QVC they want to monetize and receive a return on their investment elsewhere. 

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@charsha wrote:

@charsha  Lori has mentioned that she hates to fly.  Not sure if that has anything to do with her reduced appearances.

She moved from NY & PA, to now live across the country in Palm Springs, CA.  She's in close proximity to her aging mother out there.  

@Caaareful Shopper 

Ah, insightful. Hates to fly fits.

I'm a Californian. Know the state well.

FEW ever want to live in Palm Springs; mostly out-of-staters, who only live there part time.

It's far from fun stuff, not an artists community.

Even though they finally got a decent airport, fewer convenient connections coming out of that spot.

First, Lori wasn't familiar with California.

Second, SHE MOVED HER MOTHER THERE, poor dear—who had spent her life in the MidWest. Palm Springs is the opposite in every way, including those who choose to ive there (even part time).

Lori turns 68 in August.

Her mother might encounter medical issues.

Her mother was MidWest (my mother's family). 

I repeat, I would NEVER choose to live there, even in luxury.

On the BRIGHT side, they finally listed a ton of NEW LOGO this morning!!!

Denim, my fav.

In addition to the TSV & vest (already bought),

just ordered the fab denim jacket (3/4 sleeves and ruffles), not for everyone, but I can make it work even in the classroom (midi black pencil skirt, oversize pearl necklace, cashmere sweater, suede platforms).

Also grabbed the new denim patch drawstring pants.

Respected Contributor

@1Professor 

I agree that Lori's attorneys are at major fault.

Given the change in circumstances,  they could have approached Xcel and QVC and determined what is acceptable in terms of number of appearances, when and how and renegotiated terms.

Litigation could have been avoided. 

But Xcel sounds like it's willing to accept a replacement spokesperson,  so Lori is now ready to go!