Esteemed Contributor

Re: ORe: Looks Great on All Body Types: Well, no, it doesn't!

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

To the critics, what exactly would you all say if you were selling a clothing item?

I doubt it would be "This would work only for [insert size, height, coloring, etc.].

Good salespeople talk about what is good about the item.  I know some lie, and that is the complaint here.  You shouldn’t have to lie to sell.

@NYCLatinaMe, we really don't know that they are lying. I see people every day who apparently think that what they're wearing flatters them.

Or, maybe they wear what makes them happy, and don't judge others

Hi @mom2four0418 I really don't understand your point.  Just because people wear what makes them happy, it doesn't mean they don't judge others.  I think most people who watch QVC TV and are interested in purchasing an item shown on air would like to know whether the item would look good on them or not.  Some may not care what others think.

My comment to @suzyQ3 was regarding how to sell an item, she semed to think that it is ok to say everyone looks good on an item, and I don't tthink they need to say that.  So I stated my opinion that this is not necessary to say untruths to sell an item, agreeing with the op in that.

Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

To the critics, what exactly would you all say if you were selling a clothing item?

I doubt it would be "This would work only for [insert size, height, coloring, etc.].

Good salespeople talk about what is good about the item.  I know some lie, and that is the complaint here.  You shouldn’t have to lie to sell.

@NYCLatinaMe, we really don't know that they are lying. I see people every day who apparently think that what they're wearing flatters them.

Hi @mom2four0418 I really don't understand your point.  Just because people wear what makes them happy, it doesn't mean they don't judge others.  I think most people who watch QVC TV and are interested in purchasing an item shown on air would like to know whether the item would look good on them or not.  Some may not care what others think.

My comment to @suzyQ3 was regarding how to sell an item, she semed to think that it is ok to say everyone looks good on an item, and I don't tthink they need to say that.  So I stated my opinion that this is not necessary to say untruths to sell an item, agreeing with the op in that.

Sorry, but I don't understand your point either. What would you like a host to say about an item in deciding whether it will look good on you?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Re: Looks Great on All Body Types: Well, no, it doesn't!

On every fashion show it is said by the hosts and vendors how this article of clothing will look good on everyone.  They aren't going to say a plus size shouldn't wear this, or someone petite wouldn't look good in this.  It is a shopping channel where every single item is praised and wonderful according to all hosts who are sales people.  It is annoying sometimes but it is what must be said, nothing negative or discouraging will ever be heard .

With all that being said other posters have stated it is up to us, the consumers, to know what looks good and what we should wear, not a shopping channel host.  We know our shapes and while we may try a garment to see, if it isn't for us we do not buy it again.  

This applies to all fashion shows, it is our taste and choice, not the host or vendor's.

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Sorry, but I don't understand your point either. What would you like a host to say about an item in deciding whether it will look good on you?

@mom2four0418 I don’t expect the host to say anything about whether the item will look good on me.  I watch the show to see the garment on people, to see how it fits, when they move around.  They can give measurements, but honestly I would rather read measurements online because so much more detail is aavailable. Giving the models height and size is helpful. I would like them to tell me about the garment, how it was constructed, whether the garment is intended to be tight fitting or loose fitting , describe the material and color, how it feels, how to care for it, 

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mom2four0418 I don’t expect the host to say anything about whether the item will look good on me.  I watch the show to see the garment on people, to see how it fits, when they move around.  They can give measurements, but honestly I would rather read measurements online because so much more detail is aavailable. Giving the models height and size is helpful. I would like them to tell me about the garment, how it was constructed, whether the garment is intended to be tight fitting or loose fitting , describe the material and color, how it feels, how to care for it, 

So, you would like them to give important details about the piece of clothing. What a fabulous concept! In between all the silly talk and dancing, I guess there isn't much time left to actually focus on the garment. It almost seems as though they deliberately omit details-hmm...Thank you for explaining, and I agree with you.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Oh, ain't that the truth!

I see it every day also.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I already guessed it was the Rinna top.  She looks terrific in it.  But she's fit and thin.  And small chested. They showed a very large busted model it in, and yeah....it looked awful.  You can't wear tops like that if you have large breasts.  Does not work!  It makes your chest look enormous.   When I looked at the sizes available, they were all small.  I think the largest was a large.  They all sold very well.  I missed out on the mocha.  I wanted that.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Jaspersmom I could NOT agree MORE! I have hated it for years and it is a stupid thing to say.

No woman with half a brain would believe such nonsense. Does the Q think we are all that stupid/gullible? Guess so.

Yes, I think they do think the viewers are like that. After all, they want you think they are your friends on there and your friend wouldn't just say any old thing to get you to spend money lol.  It's just like when Carolyn is on there twirling around and saying that the item she is wearing is so slimming.  I just have to laugh.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I rarely hear it, but I do know Jill B. said on air several times in her Q career not to buy something if you are “a certain shape” and if you don’t like “such & such style”. IMO she was pretty honest when selling clothing items. 

Just last night, I heard Jane T. with Gary from D & Co. say not to buy a certain maxi dress they were selling if you are petite, because the dress had a very low point on one side of the hem. 

Guess there’s hope for truth telling in sales. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I rarely hear it, but I do know Jill B. said on air several times in her Q career not to buy something if you are “a certain shape” and if you don’t like “such & such style”. IMO she was pretty honest when selling clothing items. 

Just last night, I heard Jane T. with Gary from D & Co. say not to buy a certain maxi dress they were selling if you are petite, because the dress had a very low point on one side of the hem. 

Guess there’s hope for truth telling in sales. 

@wilma, when I used to watch, I do remember similar comments. Note how they are framed: They don't say that an item would look good only on a certain body or on a certain skin tone; they mention that an item might not be for a certain shape.

It's a subtle difference.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland