Regular Contributor

Liz Claiborne and Isaac Mizrahi Live--Why the two separate lines?

I know the Isaac M. "team" is behind both lines, so I don't see the need for the two separate lines on the Q. IMO they are very similar and you see a lot of similar prints and styles each season between the two lines. Does anyone know of some distinct differences between the two lines? The first dress below is Liz and the other two are Isaac M Live. Looking at the prints, I thought the first dress was an IML, too, when I saw it online. If you've shopped both lines, can you tell me the differences between the two? Is one of better quality? Are they sized similarly? Thanks!

Liz Claiborne New York Bateau Neck Border Print Knit Dress - A253185Isaac Mizrahi Live! Engineered Mixed Print Dress - A253275Isaac Mizrahi Live! Mixed Print Cap Sleeve Knit Dress - A253051

Super Contributor

Re: Liz Claiborne and Isaac Mizrahi Live--Why the two separate lines?

Why the two separate lines? Because they are two separate designers! Just because some items are similar doesn't mean they should get rid of one of them.

My experience is the IML sizing runs smaller than the Liz line

Respected Contributor

I think the goals are slightly different. LC is more working, conservative look and IM is trying to sell younger. Similar to FM having Chevy line and Pontiac line. ( yes, I know Pontiac is gone but I couldn't think of something else)

Contributor

Different looks from the different lines. I agree there are similarities, though. My gripe is when they say Liz is like the "original." I happen to remember the original, when Liz first began designing. These clothes are nothing at all like those fabulous originals!

Esteemed Contributor

LCNY is much more bland and conservative than Isaac's namesake line. Isaac Live is bright and colorful. There are some things that look like crossovers, but for the most part there is a very clear distinction between the two.

Super Contributor

On 4/8/2014 traveler said:

I think the goals are slightly different. LC is more working, conservative look and IM is trying to sell younger. Similar to FM having Chevy line and Pontiac line. ( yes, I know Pontiac is gone but I couldn't think of something else)

The difference between a Ford Edge and a Lincoln MKX. Basically the exact same style, but the MKX is classier with more standard upgrades. The Edge appeals to the younger set, the MKX, to the older set

Respected Contributor

I noticed that many of the items were almost identical. Didn't know that they were the same co. They can't just be different designers because Liz C died several years ago. The companies, or divisions of) are just named with a front man who is supposed to represent a certain level of design and quality. Not sure that is true at all... the level of quality and design.

I remember Liz C. early on when it was very very good. It hasn't been since she sold before her death. I just found a shirt in my storage, from way back when and the fabric is incredibly good, unlike what we see today.

Esteemed Contributor

O/P They are very different.. the sizing and the designers quality is very different.

Regular Contributor

On 4/8/2014 PKB said:

Why the two separate lines? Because they are two separate designers! Just because some items are similar doesn't mean they should get rid of one of them.

"Mizrahi will remain chief designer of his brands, which include his lifestyle collection as well as his two lines for QVC, IsaacMizrahiLIVE and Liz Claiborne New York (not to be confused with the main Liz Claiborne line,..."

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2014 SunnyinSEPA said:
On 4/8/2014 PKB said:

"Mizrahi will remain chief designer of his brands, which include his lifestyle collection as well as his two lines for QVC, IsaacMizrahiLIVE and Liz Claiborne New York (not to be confused with the main Liz Claiborne line,..."

WHERE is this quote from ..... ?