Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lisa R.'s NEW Career… Yay or Nay?

@luvingit wrote:

when Lisa said she still wanted to work ( not retired), I thought hmmm,what skills do you have girl?   Sales, ...?   50 years old and starting over?? Good luck with that. Could maybe have gone into TVnews if younger.. The best thing would have been to become a host on the other channels.  That's her skills and experience. Her sales experience could have crossed over to other fields but her age held her back & the salary wouldn't have been the same. Tough one for Lisa.

Even men in their fifties are having plastic surgery to look more youthful with the threat of young guns breathing down their neck competitively. Sorry to say, youth has become more important than skills. Anyone has or can learn the skills. Competition is just plain old fierce. And Lisa's "skills" are just faux skill labels the Q gave her. Not real. 

Respected Contributor

Well she managed to make herself a multi millionaire with those faux skills LOL.

Honored Contributor

@susan in California wrote:

I was a huge fan of Lisa's.  I found her funny, amusing and smart.

I don't feel the same way about the newer hosts.  I feel she could have had a conversation about other things as well.  To be honest, the newer hosts make me cringe with their communication skills, vocabulary, and in some cases their voices.

I can't imagine Lisa being "forced out".  She had a huge following.

Whatever she does, I wish her well.  The new GILI rep is in no way her calibre.  I don't care if she appears on Today as a fashion maven.

Regarding her financial situation--if she made wise investments, she can easily live very nicely and not have to work again.

She maly have forced herself out by making demands that the company was not willing to meet. I somehow think she walked out the door.  I am surprised she hasn't come up with some real career however.  

She probably has no money worries for life, but strikes me as someone who LOVES being in front of the camera, and was able to attract viewers.  Who knows?  But you often see successful people leave a good gig thinking they are more marketable than they are.

Honored Contributor

There is a lot more to life and being happy than making money and working.  While Lisa may have liked being in front of the camera, she may not have liked the odd, long hours, working weekends, working holidays, etc.

Now she can spend holidays with her family and has time to do what she wants to do.   Sometimes that trumps money. 

Super Contributor

I don't get it either. As far as I know she has never been married, does not have children either. So without a job I have to wonder what she does everyday. She certainly seems to be on social media a lot and she also travels quite a bit as well. I would think that after a while that would be boring. She still young. And I would think people at that age would want to have some kind of a purpose in life, something to get up for in the morning.
Honored Contributor

I thought that Lisa R had the incredible interest from Q watchers to really make something happen, and it hasn't.  I don't understand why because it's obvious she still has her followers and the interest that comes with it.  I enjoyed watching Lisa, but I'm not a follower of anyone so I haven't kept up with anything having to do with her (or any host that's left the Q).

She's been "out there" a long time now and if something big were to happen for her IMHO it would have happened by now.  It's either because she's not really committed to starting something that will go big..... or she is trying and the stars haven't lined up for her yet.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

Lisa was a big fish in a little pond and, like all big fish in little ponds, she overrated herself.   Although QVC is a major home shopping channel, in the world of broadcasting it's not a big player.   Once a big fish leaves the pond for larger waters, they usually get a cruel awakening.  At QVC she got used to being thought of as fabulous.   She likely had people telling her that everyday, people who also cut her a paycheck.  Now, she still has her fans but "likes" on Facebook don't pay the bills.  

She's going to need an income.  The lifestyle to which she's grown accustomed takes a lot of money to sustain.  There's a lot of competition out there.  It's not going to be easy for her.

She should have never left.  

Respected Contributor

I've read most of Lisa's FB posts since she left QVC.  I've been waiting for her to announce her next venture.  She's posted nothing about selling her new jewelry line on her web site only.  I don't read the comments on her board, so maybe she posted something there about that, but I doubt it.  She did post last year about talking to investors.  More recently, she's revealed definite plans for her own product lines (jewelry and Christmas decorations).  She's been spending a ton of time in Manhattan lately, at least some of it in business meetings.

Lisa was a top seller at QVC, and the GILI line was immensely successful while she was helping to design it and then selling the brand.  The notion that no shopping channel would want Lisa to be one of their vendors makes no sense to me, given her past track record.  I wouldn't be surprised to see her turn up on HSN.  In the first half of 2015, she made quite a few trips to the area of Florida where HSN is located.  I believe HSN also has offices in New York, so she could be working with them on her trips to New York City. 

Esteemed Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

Color me crazy but what if she got a huge settlement from an employer, a vendor, for something we do not know of.  Even if there was a human resources disageement, a good lawyer could have gotten her a nice little termination package.  But then what if it was something even bigger.  Intersanctum stuff.  Only the Shadow knows.

There is no way she got a nice termination package unless she was forced out.  From what my "source" told me...no one-at the time knew why she was leaving--but she was not forced out.

Many companies will offer a termination package to their Senior employees who are making maximum salaries. The employee does good work, but the company can find many many newbies who can do a good job at beginners salaries. It is no longer worth it to employ the other. 

@febe1- you are correct.  I worked in HR of a large firm.  Often, high producers and a Company agree to part ways and a very lucrative severance is given.  Lisa, I believe was a good employee and she may have gotten one.  Since, it's highly confidential and QVC could rescind the package if terms are divulged, no one would know, no matter how connected they feel may be.  That type of agreement is handled at an executive level. 

Respected Contributor

@Adelm wrote:

Lisa was a big fish in a little pond and, like all big fish in little ponds, she overrated herself.   Although QVC is a major home shopping channel, in the world of broadcasting it's not a big player.   Once a big fish leaves the pond for larger waters, they usually get a cruel awakening.  At QVC she got used to being thought of as fabulous.   She likely had people telling her that everyday, people who also cut her a paycheck.  Now, she still has her fans but "likes" on Facebook don't pay the bills.  

She's going to need an income.  The lifestyle to which she's grown accustomed takes a lot of money to sustain.  There's a lot of competition out there.  It's not going to be easy for her.

She should have never left.  

It surprises me to read posts that make assumptions about Lisa's (or anyone's) goals, desires and financial status.  Maybe she doesn't need an income.  Maybe she's quite happy to have time and money that allow her to travel and spend time with family and friends. Her FB posts do suggest she will offer a jewelry line sometime, but maybe she's doing it for fun.  Just maybe she's very happy with her life just as it is.  Those who are not close personal friends with Lisa have no knowledge of her goals or financial status.  

Claims about what she needs or wants is unwarranted speculation.  IMO, of course.

Personally, I would be very happy to be in Lisa's situation, able to do what I wanted when I wanted to do it.  Maybe she feels the same.