Honored Contributor

Re: Lisa R.'s NEW Career… Yay or Nay?

@beach ladydrb wrote:

I am also puzzled as to how this is a career. Is she getting paid for doing these posts? Maybe she has enough money to live on and is just looking for a hobby. I really like Lisa and I wish her well but her life now seems kind of superficial to me. All she seems to do is travel around and visit friends that she made while hosting on QVC. She seems happy but I think I would be really bored with that after awhile.

It's a lucrative career for many people these days. Quite a few bloggers and YouTube people have quit their 9-5 jobs to concentrate full time on social media. I said this a few pages back, but they get paid through ads on the sites, through sponsorships, and for endorsements and public speaking. Successful lifestyle bloggers make more money than I do at my 9-5 job and I'm not doing badly at all.

Personally, I'm not sure this is her career, though. I think it's a way for her to stay visible and in practice while she figures out what's next.

But it's definitely a career for some people. And many people build on that, as well. Chris Hardwick went from a podcast and a blog to several successful TV shows and a huge online brand (Nerdist). Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman, has turned her cooking blog into a huge business. Heather Armstrong, writer of one of the early blogs, Dooce.com, was making $50,000 a month in 2009. Her blog has been around since 2001 and she was the first well-known case of a person getting fired for something she posted on her blog. It was probably the best thing that ever happened to her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach ladydrb wrote:

I am also puzzled as to how this is a career. Is she getting paid for doing these posts? Maybe she has enough money to live on and is just looking for a hobby. I really like Lisa and I wish her well but her life now seems kind of superficial to me. All she seems to do is travel around and visit friends that she made while hosting on QVC. She seems happy but I think I would be really bored with that after awhile.

NAT:  Many people do this as a means of earning money, big money but after viewing Lisa's "vlog" and following it over a few days, it is not as professional as others that are making the bucks.  

Some are so well done and have so many hits that they have had major magazines, newspapers, retailers contact them and some have had lines of dishes, barware, furniture, draperies, etc, named for them or their blogs.  But, these are done well and they are kept up daily.  Others have their own line of soft home furnishings which they sell on the internet.  Some have had paint brands named for them but they are not just taking pictures of the originals with a phone camera.

One cannot travel constantly and keep a professional blog going without having someone who does quality work putting it all together for them while they are providing the lede material for same.  These telephone photographs of a few places here and there where she is obviously trying to make some professional contact look very amateurish.

It looks as if Lisa needs professional camera equipment, a professional tech person, marketing person to provide much-needed advice on how to put it all together.  The way she is doing this is just a mish-mash of her activities of daily living.  Perhaps this interests some, but it will not interest many and not for long.  

I, too, think I have an interesting life but it only interests me.  Not many are interested in my children, my grandchildren, my social friends.  Otherwise, I would be walking among the famous people.  I am not.  If Lisa has to seek out people to photograph by traveling to them and taking iphone selfies, it shows there is not a professional relationship there and it will not become so with a cell phone.  

She does a great job of her Christmas decor, she should learn from the tedium involved in that, that a well-done website requires even more tedium to be professional.  Lisa, if you still read here, you are seeing the truth, that you need to step it up and leave the Q behind, get with the program, and use the money you made while here to hire professionals who know how to get your career going.

Honored Contributor

If she actually is expecting to get paid for things appearing on the vlogablah in the future, she needs to really step up to the plate and get a professional-looking site with professional-appearing content, not amateur hour for the drool-y groupies. What she has demonstrated so far seriously won't cut it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

I guess I know very little about this universe called blogging! However, from what I have seen of her facebook posts, it does look like she could use some professional advice about marketing. Breaking into the fashion area is pretty hard I would imagine and having been a QVC host doesn't really cut it in my opinion.  Very few people can go from QVC to more successful jobs. Mike Roe is an exception. Kathy Levine tried but never really ended up doing much of anything. I wonder why Lisa left such a good situation especially after launching GILI.

Honored Contributor

I was thinking she had something more than a blog planned. Maybe she did, but that didn't pan out or maybe she didn't. I guess we will never know unless she tells us.  I do not follow her on facebook or anywhere else, but I liked her on the Q, and I wish her the best. 

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

If she actually is expecting to get paid for things appearing on the vlogablah in the future, she needs to really step up to the plate and get a professional-looking site with professional-appearing content, not amateur hour for the drool-y groupies. What she has demonstrated so far seriously won't cut it.

@Moonchilde Oh my goodness, VLOGABLAH!  I just lost my coffee!!! 

I looked at her FB page to see if she would respond to any questions about her website.  Mostly her tribe is congratulating her on a job well done, and she is gracious, but not offering any further details on the future.  There was one poster asking Lisa to please watch all the Academy Award nominated movies so Lisa could provide her review of each of them.

Yes, there's an alternate universe out there

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I also love the term "vlogablah!"

Honored Contributor

I honestly have no reason to wish her ill, and I don't, but I don't think she gets "professional" and "competition." I also have the feeling her "personal assistant" was had inexpensively and so far hasn't improved the site's or FB's professionalism.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

She's probably having a ball doing exactly what she wants to do. Many bloggers make very good bucks!

I am guessing that not too many of us, responding here, have our own blogs, or made a half million bucks a year being a TV host, or even participated in a pageant or played concert violin.

Good for Lisa.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

Maybe she doesn't want a career.  Maybe she wants something little.  You are all assuming she wants this and that.  Maybe she doesn't.  Maybe she wants a little bit of a life...Her freedom to do what she wants.  Why would she want to go back to the Q?  Beg for her old job back?  For what?  I think there are alot of assumptions being made here. I think she's doing exactly what she wants to do, maybe there will be more, maybe not.  She's doing fine.

Bingo @meem120 I couldn't agree more.