Honored Contributor

Re: Letting go of items that you love

On 9/27/2014 morganjen said:

I don't. That's why I have way too many clothes/shoes/accessories.

I have too much too. I don't think I have sentimental attachment to most, but I do like to have a large variety of clothing and accessories. Also, to replace items now would cost so much more. Everything I have fits. I do get rid of items that I find uncomfortable. The only
"sentimental" item I have is my wedding dress. I did donate a lot of shoes last year as I thought the heels were too high for me now.

Honored Contributor

I consign my good work items if I haven't worn them in two years. Other things will either go to around the house or Goodwill. If I take it to consign and they don't want it, they offer to donate it.

Respected Contributor

On 9/27/2014 magicmoodz said:

You might ask yourself "Do I want to be burdened with things when I become old?"

We are contemplating moving to a smaller home and just might sell everything we own and simply start over. I have contacted someone who will come in and conduct the sale for us. She happened to be having a sale near us last weekend and we stopped in to introduce ourselves.

But the real story is what was for sale in that home. It was a 3-story townhome with many big rooms complete with an elevator within the unit. The owner was seemingly elderly, monied and never got rid of anything. While she had beautiful things, I became anxious just being among so much stuff.

I don't ever want to end up like that.

I cant even tell you how close I have come a few times in getting rid of it all and I am not even moving. When I do move, most of it will not be coming with me. ...if any really. Starting fresh sounds so appealing to me.
Honored Contributor

I did a major purge of clothes back in March...it is amazing how much easier it became once I got started. I don't miss anything I got rid of.

I bought some little zip lock jewelry bags at Hobby Lobby and went through my jewelry box and put over 60 pr of earrings in the bags...nice to have them paired up and tangle-free....3 daughters got first pick of them, then the 5 granddaughters. They had a ball! I need to now go through the jewelry box again to see what else I can live without. I marked anything that is sterling or 14k, etc so they would know. Gives me great pleasure to see them enjoying them now!

Valued Contributor

For every new piece I get, I must get rid of at least one old! I have stuck to this (sometimes not willingly) faithfully.

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.