Super Contributor

Re: Letting go of items that you love

I make it a point to purge my closet a few times a year and get rid of the things I just haven't worn. If I haven't worn them in a year or so....they go to the charity bin in my church parking lot while they are still in good condition and wearable. A needy soul will get them and they will be put to good use.

I HAVE however kept one thing that IS sentimental to me and that is my prom gown worn to my senior prom in 1959 ! If you are wondering why I didn't mention my wedding gown there wasn't one as my husband and I eloped 53 yrs. ago ! I worked at a local drugstore soda fountain to pay for my prom gown and its still in A-l condition !

Esteemed Contributor

I once read that a method of taking care of the problems of things kept because of sentimental value was to take a pictures of the item and look at them as needed. I don't know that a picture is the same as touching the item, etc. but in many cases it would suffice.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Regular Contributor

If you're not sure you want to part with something, don't. You can always get rid of something but you can't it back if you toss it in a fit of "should" and are sorry later. If you still find yourself reaching for an item, keep it and reassess its condition at the end of the season. Meanwhile you might try to keep your eyes open for a reasonable facsimile.
Valued Contributor

I have things I won't let go of, ever...my wedding gown, the gown I wore to DD's wedding, DD's First Holy Communion Dress, stuff like that. Other things I might hold on to for longer than I should but I do eventually get rid of most of them, especially if I haven't worn them in a while. I don't follow the 1 year rule, for me it's more like 5 years...lol...but eventually most things find their way into the Goodwill bag.

I'm extremely fortunate to have an abundance of storage for my clothes which makes it easy to keep more than I should.

Maria

Super Contributor

I had the same difficulty ... I had to keep telling myself that it's only ""things"" that I didn't need and that someone else probably could use. Why was I holding on to them? I still ask myself that.

But - bite the bullet and donate wearables. My sister and nieces and a couple of friends got some good stuff that I no longer was able to wear.

Esteemed Contributor

You might ask yourself "Do I want to be burdened with things when I become old?"

We are contemplating moving to a smaller home and just might sell everything we own and simply start over. I have contacted someone who will come in and conduct the sale for us. She happened to be having a sale near us last weekend and we stopped in to introduce ourselves.

But the real story is what was for sale in that home. It was a 3-story townhome with many big rooms complete with an elevator within the unit. The owner was seemingly elderly, monied and never got rid of anything. While she had beautiful things, I became anxious just being among so much stuff.

I don't ever want to end up like that.

Respected Contributor

I will let go of things if they look too dated, if it turns out I don't like or wear them much, or if the clothes have become shabby and worn with use.

I do think into every life some perfect clothes will come. That doesn't mean they stay perfect forever. They might have been perfect for an occasion, for a season, for a time in my life. Nothing lasts forever.

Honored Contributor

here is another thing......my mom has been donating and or giving away things for the past few years. she is trying to de-clutter. pieces of jewelry that i have liked, or my sister has liked, or my daughters have liked she has been giving to us little by little. she has so much that she said she would rather see us wearing it while she is still alive than waiting until she dies.

dont leave things for your kids to do because it will be even more overwhelming then. we got rid of so many old greeting cards, magazines, papers that no one wanted or that no one could use. they were just dust collectors "things" taking up space. my father died ten years ago and we are STILL finding things of his that need to be given away or just thrown out.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

When I lost a lot of weight years ago I gave away all my ""larger size"" clothes. I built back up my wardrobe over the years and have replaced most everything I had with my new size. Gave some to relatives and others to charity sales.

Respected Contributor

On 9/27/2014 magicmoodz said:

We are contemplating moving to a smaller home and just might sell everything we own and simply start over. I have contacted someone who will come in and conduct the sale for us. She happened to be having a sale near us last weekend and we stopped in to introduce ourselves.

I would love to do this some day! I am someone who has no problem getting rid of things that are no longer needed or used, but I'm married to someone who has great difficulty doing so. We moved recently, and he made some tough decisions in getting rid of several items that belonged to his family (other than photos/movies) which sat in our garage and had been moved several times already. I feel so much "lighter" when not burdened with bunches of "stuff."