Honored Contributor

Re: Lets stop fashionizing the pandemic

@Pearlee wrote:
@stevieb. Yes I had read what you said. I still posted.

Surprisingly enough @Pearlee everything posted isn't with you in mind...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb. Well true enough. But since your post directly followed mine it did seem likely your post was prompted by mine. Since 3 people hearted my post, it probably seemed likely to them also.
😄
Honored Contributor

Just another example @Pearlee of how looks can be deceiving. I didn't look to see the most recent post before expressing my opinion. Rather, I'd read an earlier post, similar in content to yours, and opted simply to state that for me masks, no matter how decorative, are not uplifting... As for the stars, who knows... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

Articles I have read on making masks totally discourage the idea of blinging them up.  Reasoning is that it would make it difficult to wash frequently and give the virus more surfaces to adhere to.  Personally, I think most of the mask wearing to control the virus either way is like putting up a chain link fence to keep out mosquitos but when I rarely go out I will wear one just to give others their false sense of security.   I really do have a difficult time breathing in them, however, so try not to go out often.

Honored Contributor

Fortunately, masks today aren't as scary as those worn by doctors during the Plague of 1656, which killed 450,000 in Rome and naples.

doctor mask.png

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

It doesn’t make any difference what the fabric the mask is made of looks like. There is nothing one can do to make them “pretty” or “attractive” and they will never look “fashionable.”

If people want to pretend otherwise and it makes them feel better, it is harmless. At least some are bothering to wear a mask. Around here they are not required and hardly anyone wears masks. Gee thanks.

@willdob3 I feel the same way...while necessary I hate them and hate wearing one. I don't feel attractive or fashionable in one and I'm not sure if I feel safer...but I wear it when out in a store.

I will stick to the lightweight paper masks going into summer.  At least they will be cooler than most cloth masks.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

It doesn’t make any difference what the fabric the mask is made of looks like. There is nothing one can do to make them “pretty” or “attractive” and they will never look “fashionable.”

If people want to pretend otherwise and it makes them feel better, it is harmless. At least some are bothering to wear a mask. Around here they are not required and hardly anyone wears masks. Gee thanks.

@willdob3 I feel the same way...while necessary I hate them and hate wearing one. I don't feel attractive or fashionable in one and I'm not sure if I feel safer...but I wear it when out in a store.

I will stick to the lightweight paper masks going into summer.  At least they will be cooler than most cloth masks.

@haddon9   I’m fortunate in that I haven’t had to go into any stores since all this started and I’ve been working from home. I haven’t really been where I need a mask very often. I’m not looking forward to going back to the office in a week. Way too many people to be exposed to. I’ll be wearing a mask except in my office. 

It it would be so much easier if people automatically turned green when exposed so we could tell, wouldn’t it? Knowing that someone who has COVID-19 can look and feel just like someone who doesn’t have it is unsettling. It isn’t that I don’t trust the people but I don’t trust the virus. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't read all the posts so I don't know if this has already been discussed but the CDC has this to say about cloth face masks:

" Use tightly woven cotton, such as quilting fabric or cotton sheets. T-shirt fabric will work in a pinch. Stack the two rectangles; you will sew the mask as if it was a single piece of fabric."

TIGHTLY WOVEN COTTON FABRIC HAS LESS SPACES TO ALLOW PARTICLES TO GET THROUGH. WHEN BUYING OR MAKING A CLOTH MASK THIS IS THE BEST MATERIAL. THEY SHOULD BE WASHED  REGULARLY WITH USE.

Some materials(unwoven)not only allow particles in but also keep it close to your face. 

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner : For me it means anyone who wants a nice looking mask to wear means they are wearing them.

If that doesn't say they are taking this virus seriously, I don't know what does.

I ordered colorful ones for our grandchildren so they'll see them as fun and actually wear them.

That to me is the idea.

Honored Contributor

Anything that will prompt folks to wear something/anything that might protect others is a plus, imo.

Fashionable masks could be a trend for quite a while.  

It's nice, watching the youngsters riding their bikes, wearing various cute masks.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).