Honored Contributor

Lets stop fashionizing the pandemic

Crochet,accesories, etc. 

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lets stop fashionizing the pandemic

Seriously?  I've just been thinking about sewing my own masks next weekend using some fabrics that I like.  I figure if I'm going to wear a mask, it might as well be something I like, such as my team logo or favorite colors.  As a fashionista who notices pretty shoes and handbags, I find my eye is starting to notice the different types of masks.  I think it's interesting to see what people come up with and use the mask to show their personal style.

Respected Contributor

While I don't believe crochet is a good way to make a mask with all the holes and such I do understand wanting a decent looking mask. I don't see it trying to make the virus fashionable. It's a matter of people who make things being useless and creative. Those of us who make things always try to find a way to be useless and helpful with our craft. 

Esteemed Contributor

I bought my masks from a site called headcovers which is a site dedicated to making fashionable accessories for cancer patients and needs for survivors like wigs.  While going through hair loss what's wrong with a fashionable head cover or hat?  To me making someone feel better with a pretty mask is a good thing.  

We are not making light of the tragedies of the virus, just trying to stay positive and following mask rules.  @wildcat fan I agree with your last sentance: "I think it's interesting to see what people come up with and use the mask to show their personal style."

Honored Contributor

Crochet masks and other fabrics aren't medical grade. This is foolish.  

Honored Contributor

There is a part of me that thinks we are trivializing the issue.  I don't guess that applies to every one. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1   The virus is not going to disappear any time soon so fashionable/individualizing masks is a great way to stay positive and not just boo hoo and project negativity all the time.  It is in no way making light of it  - just a way to be positive.  Heck when I broke my shoulder and hand I found a way to customize my cast and immobolizer to match my clothing.  It made me feel way more upbeat than just sitting around thinking boo hoo poor me!!

@Foxxee   Masks for going out do not have to be medical grade - just be able to mostly protect others from our droplet spray from talking, sneezing coughing, etc

@Lali1  While they may be hot if too thick yarn is used, those that make them line them with material..

Honored Contributor

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.  Face masks will be a part of our every day life for quite a while.

Just be smart about it.  

You should line cloth face masks with face mask filters that you can buy separately almost anywhere.  Good cloth face masks are made with a pocket to insert a filter, always read the fine print to check for that.  But do your research on the filters because there are now so many filters out there, made of different materials.  They are disposable; I've seen them in packs of 10, 50, even 100.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It doesn’t make any difference what the fabric the mask is made of looks like. There is nothing one can do to make them “pretty” or “attractive” and they will never look “fashionable.”

If people want to pretend otherwise and it makes them feel better, it is harmless. At least some are bothering to wear a mask. Around here they are not required and hardly anyone wears masks. Gee thanks.

Honored Contributor

mspat has found a negative font, meaning below zero.