Valued Contributor

Re: Lets Share Tips on How to Clean Out Your Closet of Garments You No Longer Wear.

Although I understand that it's hard to part with our "stuff" ... many years ago, a friend and I took a couple of bags of clothes we each cleared from our closets to a local women's emergency shelter. I will never forget the looks on the faces of the woman who tried on and selected items, so excited to have something special and "new" in the midst of their personal chaos. One woman hugged me, and with tears in her eyes said, "I never would have thought that a new sweater would lift my sprits so much, especially during such a difficult week, when my children and I have finally escaped their abusive father." I've never forgotten that experience, so now when I decide to clear out closets of clothing, linens, kitchen items, etc., I do it with great joy, knowing that my donations can actually make a positive difference for someone, somewhere.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lets Share Tips on How to Clean Out Your Closet of Garments You No Longer Wear.

I am living by the rule that all items for all seasons must fit in my regular bedroom closet (not a walk-in) and dressers. All coats fit in the hall closet. I no longer have any clothes stored anywhere else but my bedroom. My best advice for paring down a wardrobe is to cut back on online shopping. When I did that the number of new items decreased dramatically. It was just too easy to buy new stuff that way. The next thing that made me realize I had way too much was when I downloaded a closet App and created a database of my wardrobe. Seeing all those items and quantities of items made me realize how much money I had wasted. I also felt guilty having so much when there are people in the world who do not have their basic needs met. I get rid of things when: 1. They don't fit or are unflattering to my shape 2. They are uncomfortable 3. I haven't worn them the past season 4. If I have multiples of the same thing I get rid of the one that is the most worn looking each season 5. If I have to come up with reasons to talk myself into keeping it then I get rid of it. I don't care how much I paid and I don't keep things anymore that I might wear one day. If I am in doubt I make myself wear it for a day and usually I figure out quickly why I haven't worn it.
Esteemed Contributor

My suggestion would be to create a new wardrobe from your existing wardrobe. In other words stand in your closet and pull out the clothing that you really love, that makes you feel good and most importantly, is suitable for your lifestyle as it is today. Be sure to include outfits for any and all occasions, i.e. the LBD perhaps worn infrequently. Oh, and make sure everything you decide upon either fits perfectly or can be tailored to fit perfectly.

Now, remove everything else in your closet. Store that clothing in a separate room for the time being--out of sight out of mind. Then hang your newly-created wardrobe back in your closet. I believe you will find that you always have just the perfect outfit for an occasion, without lamenting should I wear this or should I wear that.

And trust me on this as I speak from experience, a smaller wardrobe is so much easier to maintain. It also has given me permission to make some purchases ($$$) that I otherwise might have felt guilty about. You know, the guilt associated with purchasing something when you already have an over-abundance of that very thing. I carefully craft my wardrobe by determining what needs replacing, what I am lacking, etc. Yes, I treat myself to an occasional "just because", but for the most part, I love my small, carefully created wardrobe.

Honored Contributor

On 12/29/2014 wilma said: I am living by the rule that all items for all seasons must fit in my regular bedroom closet (not a walk-in) and dressers. All coats fit in the hall closet. I no longer have any clothes stored anywhere else but my bedroom. My best advice for paring down a wardrobe is to cut back on online shopping. When I did that the number of new items decreased dramatically. It was just too easy to buy new stuff that way. The next thing that made me realize I had way too much was when I downloaded a closet App and created a database of my wardrobe. Seeing all those items and quantities of items made me realize how much money I had wasted. I also felt guilty having so much when there are people in the world who do not have their basic needs met. I get rid of things when: 1. They don't fit or are unflattering to my shape 2. They are uncomfortable 3. I haven't worn them the past season 4. If I have multiples of the same thing I get rid of the one that is the most worn looking each season 5. If I have to come up with reasons to talk myself into keeping it then I get rid of it. I don't care how much I paid and I don't keep things anymore that I might wear one day. If I am in doubt I make myself wear it for a day and usually I figure out quickly why I haven't worn it.

This is the best advice yet. A limited space, defined and non negotiable later. Once it is full, something has to go.

This would be a great rule of thumb for all areas of the house.

And you are so right, it almost seems gluttonous to have so much when there are many who have nothing. It doesn't make any more sense to keep clothing we don't wear (who can really use 400 pair of shoes like some have posted in years past, or 200 handbags?) than the other things we let pile up like kitchen gadgets or jewelry.

Trusted Contributor

I suggest starting with the clothes and shoes you have owned for more than 5 years. Most of those probably need to go.

Super Contributor

I only buy what I know I am going to actually wear. My husband thinks I have a lot of clothes, but I assured him I do wear my purchases and they don't sit in the closet with tags on them.

I also clean out my closet at least 3-4 times a year, or do an inventory to see if I need to donate items I no longer want. This makes it easier to keep my closet de-cluttered.

I began grouping colors together in the closet within 'type' (casual, blouse, jacket). This helped me venture out and try new colors -- or admit I don't need additional clothing at this time.

I group my clothing also, helps me to keep organized and able to get ready for work in the morning, since I am not a morning person. And it keeps me from buying too much black clothing.

Trusted Contributor

Bump.

Honored Contributor

I don't have that issue. If it doesn't fit anymore or it's not in style or it's not MY style anymore, out it goes. To Goodwill or the Kidney Foundation.

I think the driving force for me isn't that someone else will get good use out of it, but that I don't want the clutter. Just being honest. I hate clutter so that trumps any desire I might have for keeping things (clothes or anything else) that I don't use.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

On 12/29/2014 sunshine45 said:

my tip: whenever anyone calls for donations (purple heart, amvets, lupus) i ALWAYS say yes, even when i dont have a bag already together. this forces me to get at least one bag filled for them to pick up.

I do this also. When the Kidney Foundation calls and asks if we have anything, I tell them yes whether we have something ready or not. And then I get a bag....or so...together.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

On 12/29/2014 sunshine45 said:

my tip: whenever anyone calls for donations (purple heart, amvets, lupus) i ALWAYS say yes, even when i dont have a bag already together. this forces me to get at least one bag filled for them to pick up.

Sunshine45: I do the same thing. I never say no when they call. They call at least 2 weeks in advance, so that gives me time to pull some stuff out of my closet and bag it up. Feels so good when I come home from work and those bags are gone!