Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lets Share Tips on How to Clean Out Your Closet of Garments You No Longer Wear.

On 12/29/2014 paShar said:

I read somewhere years ago that, to tell which of your clothes you really wear, you should start by turning all the hooks on your hangers in one direction, say facing to the back. Then, as you wear an item and put it back in the closet, turn the hanger the other way, facing out. At the end of the season or the year, you can see which clothes you haven't worn because the hanger will still be facing to the back.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Good idea.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

Re: Lets Share Tips on How to Clean Out Your Closet of Garments You No Longer Wear.

On 12/29/2014 paShar said:

I read somewhere years ago that, to tell which of your clothes you really wear, you should start by turning all the hooks on your hangers in one direction, say facing to the back. Then, as you wear an item and put it back in the closet, turn the hanger the other way, facing out. At the end of the season or the year, you can see which clothes you haven't worn because the hanger will still be facing to the back.

This is what I'm planning to do to.

I did start on purging my shoes today. I don't know why I was holding on to some that I haven't worn in ages. I guess it's hard for me to let go of things that are still in good shape, so I had to get real with myself. I was recently diagnosed with a bone condition (can't remember the name) that causes me pain if I wear shoes with more than a 3-inch heel. I'll never be able to wear some of my higher heeled shoes again. I can barely walk two steps in some of them, much less wear them all day. Hate to see them go, but I love having less clutter and more space to store shoes I can wear.

Respected Contributor

Just keep thinking of all the charities/individuals who could really make good use out of our items. That should motivate you.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

I did read a fashion magazine, in dentist waiting room, stating we continually return to our favorite clothing which is about 20% of our wardrobe. If we want to utilize more of our wardrobe, hang our favorite clothes in the back of the closet so we'll take a look at our other clothing.

I began grouping colors together in the closet within 'type' (casual, blouse, jacket). This helped me venture out and try new colors -- or admit I don't need additional clothing at this time.

Happy organizing! If donating, people will be fortunate to receive your clothing and you'll feel like bricks have been lifted from your shoulders -- bricks or 80s shoulder pads!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

I also have given away a lot of great work clothes, shoes and purses.

But I don't know anyone who wants them and I cringe inside sometimes when I think of how much I paid...for the items. I sort of hate to give them away but then your home is cluttered.

I try to count it as planting the seeds of blessings. When you donate, I like to believe that what goes around comes....RIGHT ...back around. Maybe not in the same way, maybe not to you but to a child or family member. So just know you are doing good.

Esteemed Contributor

Since there have been all kinds of opinions on the boards the last week or so about donations to Goodwill and other charities who have their own stores (and about who buys those donated items), I would like to make an unsolicited suggestion, for anyone who is interested.

If you don't care who winds up with your donations, as long as it helps the charity you donate to, then the charities I mentioned above are great places to donate. Their stores are there to sell your items to anyone who will buy them, and they don't care who buys as long as the items are sold. Your donations provide income to those charities so that they can then provide many types of services to those in need.

If you have things that you want to make sure go to certain groups or types of people, such as clothing for abused women who have had to leave home with virtually nothing, or for people who have lost their homes to fire, etc., or maybe specifically to organizations that help women get back in the work force and they need appropriate clothing... then I would suggest contacting your community services offices to find out what kinds of organizations would be best for your donations.

Since I know it's hard to part with things sometimes because I'm having a hard time with it myself, I hope this information will be helpful to those who have decided to donate clothing which, in some cases, really has had meaning to them in their lives.

Respected Contributor

In all of my purges, I have never regretted giving something away. I think that keeps me from being so overwhelmed. HTH

Super Contributor

I have a terrible time purging my closet. I plan on tackling this chore this week. I once kept a pair of shorts from 7th grade and wore them until I was 30, lol.
Esteemed Contributor

I lay out the clothes I want to donate on my bed and a take a picture of them. I know this sounds dumb and my family thinks I am nuts. But if I have a photo of the clothes, it helps me part with them. I started this years ago when I gave away a nice outfit that I knew I was never photographed wearing. That was back when I had a film camera, so there are pictures of clothes in my photo albums! Now that I am digital, I have the photos but don't print them. All that being said, I do have two bags of pants that are too small -- I still think I might fit into them again some day. If I donate them, I feel like I am giving up on losing the few extra pounds it took to make them too small.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Contributor

I have a one year rule. If I haven't worn it in a year--out it goes! Once in while I will hang onto something, but for the most part I am pretty good at purging what i don't wear.