Honored Contributor

Re: Lets Share Tips on How to Clean Out Your Closet of Garments You No Longer Wear.

I think we all form attachments to different things. I have very few clothes, and don't particularly like clothing and shoes. Nothing I own is expensive, and I tend to wear the same things over and over. I have no trouble moving out things each season and getting rid of them when they are worn out, or sizes change.

I do however have this same issue with other things in my house, so while the actual items are different, the attachment, need for later issues are the same.

Perhaps you could set yourself a limit that would fit your closet and drawer spaces. Choose x number of any given thing, and make yourself work down to it. Set the number kind of high at first, so you don't feel that you are completely emptying everything out, but be realistic. For example, for slacks, you can only wear 7 pair per week, so really, anything over 7 pair of regular slacks (per season if you live where they change a lot) is 'excessive'.

Depends on your lifestyle, but someone like me, who never puts on a dress, would need maybe one or two dresses for the rare occasion one would be required. For someone that doesn't need or wear sweaters very often, three or four favorite or easily mixed and matched ones would be enough.

Only you know what you do and don't wear much of, especially in your newest phase of life. If it were me, I'd set a goal of being able to put in my closet only enough clothing (per season, again) for two weeks of never repeating outfits. Anything more than that, especially if carefully chosen and can create an unlimited number of mix and match outfits, would be excessive (for me), especially if you still enjoy buying clothing, and know that with each new season you will do so.

Best of luck on the endeavor.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lets Share Tips on How to Clean Out Your Closet of Garments You No Longer Wear.

It can't get too much better than what you are doing. The only problem is letting things go period. I too have been cleaning out my closets for the past few years. I still work and have many years to go but what really has helped me is to donate to those non-profit organizations that call and will pick up my donations. My church also has a coat drive every year so far I have donated eight coats in the past two years.

I do a little at a time but I must say I feel much better knowing someone less fortunate is benefiting from what I longer want or need. The funny thing is that I am finding things that I have been looking for to wear!

Respected Contributor

Get together with a girlfriend and have a yard sale or take the items out to the flea market. It's fun! Then whatever you don't sell take and donate to your fave charity (I like the hospice services store in our town). Once it's out the door it's GONE and no bringing anything back in the house (and you have a few $$$ in your pocket to make the parting easier).

Super Contributor

On 12/29/2014 happy housewife said:

It doesn't sound like you needs tips but you need someone to help you to let go of things you don't need anymore. A therapist or counselor perhaps? Do you have this problem in other areas of your life?

When I retired I left a job where we wore scrubs to work. I had so many! I had ones I had made for every possible holiday. I had absolutely no difficulty packing them all up in a plastic bin and giving them to a dear friend who was my size and still working. If i never saw another scrub top in my life it would be too soon. However, I did keep two really old stained & mended ones that I wear for doing dirty work like painting.

LOL! A therapist would probably help most of the population! I think this something I can accomplish with the right attitude and goal in mind. Change is never easy.
Honored Contributor

Clothes are so very emotional....they respresent the hard work you've done...or a good time in your life. After watching numerous of 'What Not To Wear' shows, holding onto clothes is very common. How about checking a charity that helps homeless women get back in to the workplace? So many women would benefit from your beautiful wardrobe you're not using.

It will feel good to release...guarantee.

Respected Contributor

....I'll get back to you sometime in March or April I'm in my spring cleaning frame of mind.

Honored Contributor

I find that you have to define the end result, then really have to want it. End result is a working closet where everything in it fits. If it's tough getting going, do it in a couple rounds. First round, the obvious things that you know have to go. Second round is items you can't remember the last time you wore. Third round is styles or colors that have seen their day, be honest. Final round is clothing that doesn't fit physically or doesn't fit your lifestyle - no holding it just incase you lose/gain weight or maybe one day you'll take up ballroom dancing again. No holding back on any round, move it out.
Honored Contributor

I have no problem getting rid of stuff. I just ask myself, "Will I wear this again sometime this year?" If the answer is no, out it goes.

Super Contributor

I read somewhere years ago that, to tell which of your clothes you really wear, you should start by turning all the hooks on your hangers in one direction, say facing to the back. Then, as you wear an item and put it back in the closet, turn the hanger the other way, facing out. At the end of the season or the year, you can see which clothes you haven't worn because the hanger will still be facing to the back.

Honored Contributor

It depends on the reason for not wearing the items. I find, for example, that I can mix and match a lot of separates that I bought for work and wear them when I'm not at work.

This year, I took about 10 pieces to my seamstress for a few tweaks. I find that I wear those garments more because 1) I spent money customizing them, and 2) they fit better than when I purchased them off the rack, and so I want to wear them more.

I have items that only go with "certain" pieces, so if I get rid of those, I might as well get rid of the coordinating items. I also have pieces that I like to wear one way, like a form fitting tank I might ONLY wear under a jacket, sweater, or blouse. If you have pieces like that, then you might consider donating them.

If your items are too dressy for your retired lifestyle, you can donate them to an organization for working women (like Dress For Success) or to a battered women's shelter.

If your clothes are really junking up your closet, you might set a rule for yourself that each piece has to "go" with at least three others, or it's out.