Respected Contributor

Re: Let's post our favorite REALLY BAD fashion product shots!

On 3/10/2015 happygal said:

Liz Claiborne New York Petite Tie Dye Striped Knit Maxi Dress

Candy corn

Omg, yes candy corn!!
Valued Contributor

On 3/10/2015 jonbon said:

This thread really illustrates that it's all in how someone chooses to style a garment! I get the idea of what they try to do (photograph things simply and so that you can see the detail, not all "dolled up"), but it is not done well. It would help immensely if the items shown fit the models better, for example, and the generic shoes they use are not terribly attractive.

The photos shown on websites are often not very inspiring. Zappos has many bad clothing photos too! I'm a big Talbots shopper, and they photograph things in a similar style -- plain white shirts with slacks/pants, and tops often photographed with jeans/white jeans. But they also frequently show alternate photos taken from the catalog, so that one can click on those and see things "styled out" (as they say on the Q).

That said, I personally dislike the threads where someone finds what they think is a horrible garment, posts a photo, and asks, "Who would wear something like this?!" or says, "What do you think?" with an emoticon insinuating that it's terrible.

(P.S. I think there are a couple of responses to this thread that ARE making fun of the clothing itself.)

Because clothing has feelings, too!

Super Contributor

Brilliant thread Gardensla; thanks Smiley Happy It's not about the clothing, the model or the designer; it's about the money spent to make all of it look as bad as it could possibly look ... why ???

Super Contributor

Funny thread.

Hard to believe sometimes that the item you see in front of you (or ON you) is the same one they show in the pics!

Super Contributor

On 3/10/2015 CathyRD said:

Brilliant thread Gardensla; thanks Smiley Happy It's not about the clothing, the model or the designer; it's about the money spent to make all of it look as bad as it could possibly look ... why ???

And HOW do people misconstrue this thread to mean something else?

Respected Contributor

On 3/10/2015 gardensla said:

Last seen walking Hollywood Blvd.

LOL!!! co-workers keep walking by my cube wondering what was making laugh!

this one made my team leader come over!!!

(its her style too! she can't see the hollwood line))

Respected Contributor

On 3/10/2015 WNYgal said:
On 3/10/2015 jonbon said:

This thread really illustrates that it's all in how someone chooses to style a garment! I get the idea of what they try to do (photograph things simply and so that you can see the detail, not all "dolled up"), but it is not done well. It would help immensely if the items shown fit the models better, for example, and the generic shoes they use are not terribly attractive.

The photos shown on websites are often not very inspiring. Zappos has many bad clothing photos too! I'm a big Talbots shopper, and they photograph things in a similar style -- plain white shirts with slacks/pants, and tops often photographed with jeans/white jeans. But they also frequently show alternate photos taken from the catalog, so that one can click on those and see things "styled out" (as they say on the Q).

That said, I personally dislike the threads where someone finds what they think is a horrible garment, posts a photo, and asks, "Who would wear something like this?!" or says, "What do you think?" with an emoticon insinuating that it's terrible.

(P.S. I think there are a couple of responses to this thread that ARE making fun of the clothing itself.)

Because clothing has feelings, too!

LOL -- I love this comment! (But to be clear, I was referring to the OP's assertion that, "This post is not about the clothing; it's about the poor styling seen in the photos.")

Esteemed Contributor

Vampira, Queen of the Night.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

Stylist tip! Make sure your hair exactly matches the pattern of your poncho.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/10/2015 CouponQueen said:
On 3/10/2015 Alter Ego said: I can't post the photo, but I think the new GILI fringe leather jacket is a great example. It's a $400 jacket and the photo is horribly styled. They posted different photos on Facebook that look significantly better. So many examples like that one.

Excellent example. Betting it's actually nice in person:

I like that. Not sure why it is considered bad?

The jacket isn't bad; the photo is.

Shawn was wearing this during one of her shows and it was adorable and very, very chic. Here, not so much.

Looks like a drum majorette here. Just add flaming batons.

In addition, the fringe is pushed to the side and hanging straight down (don't know what it is about the fringe; there's just something wrong about how they are showing it) and it appears to be ill-fitting based on how it pulls over the model's chest. It did not look like this on Shawn or the model's.