Occasional Contributor

This question is for all the fashion lines.  WHY,  WHY, WHY. Do you make the plus sizes longer????   It's not flattering !!  Tops should be same length in all sizes.   

Honored Contributor

@Rose58    Its hard to explain but a larger person takes up more fabric in the width.  If you have two person the same height, a 30" top is going to be longer on the size S person than it is going to be on a plus size, so they compensate for the difference.

Also, most larger women prefer a longer top to cover their assets.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I like shirts that are about wrist length, so I measured that length on my own body, and go by that when I buy. I don't disagree with the point made by the OP, but all kinds and sizes of tops come in all kinds of lengths, so you always have to check anyway. Luckily Q posts the detailed measurements for almost everything they sell, so I don't have to guess. I really appreciate that.

Honored Contributor

I need the extra length because of my unfortunate mid section.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

I've often wondering this myself.  I understand that larger women require more fabric in the width -- but a larger size, in itself, provides the extra fabric needed so I don't understand the logic in also making tops  longer.  

Honored Contributor

I wondered that myself. The only difference should be that it's a larger size to accommodate a larger body. It should still fit in the same manner as a smaller size i.e. length, fitted or semi fit, etc. There have been instances where the smaller size is a relaxed fit but the plus size gal is in a skintight garment that's supposed to be the same thing?! And vice a versa

Respected Contributor

a larger body takes up MORE room and a top should be designed to accommodate it.

Valued Contributor

I've been both; "larger" sized, and averaged sized. 

I'm always a bit puzzled as to why the question on longer length for larger size. 

It's like this. Take a hand towel and hang it from something. Measure where the bottom of towel hits. Now place a ball or something similar behind the lower half of the towel. 

Measure wherer the bottom of the towel hits with the object behind it.

It's shorter. Tops are the same way.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Esteemed Contributor

@SunSprite wrote:

I've been both; "larger" sized, and averaged sized. 

I'm always a bit puzzled as to why the question on longer length for larger size. 

It's like this. Take a hand towel and hang it from something. Measure where the bottom of towel hits. Now place a ball or something similar behind the lower half of the towel. 

Measure wherer the bottom of the towel hits with the object behind it.

It's shorter. Tops are the same way.

ITA. My bosom takes up the length of blouses/tunics. For myself, I want a tunic to be no less than 29 inches ... 30 inches is the sweet spot for me. I want any tunic to cover the crotch area of pants, as I tend to wear closer fitting pants w/ tunic lengths.

For the few tuck in blouses I wear, I never even thought about length until they started making those shorter blouses that were designed to be worn on the outside. The first time I bought one I was annoyed as all get out that it kept coming untucked. Duh ... it was never supposed to be tucked. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor
I’m a tall fat girl. I need more length.