Super Contributor

Lee jeans..total junk!!! Anyone else have these issues??

[ Edited ]

So.. what is up with Lee jeans being so junky, no apparent quality control,  anymore, apparently..? I bought a pair of black Lee jeans at JCPenney about 2 or 3 years ago, and the button on them is so horribly tight, it is just about impossible to open and close. Takes way too much effort to unbutton and button them. 

Then I bought a pair of Lee jeans (capris.. actually) in Walmart the other day. Same dang thing with the button. It pretty much refuses to open!! Arrgh!! I did not try either pair on, because they were definitely my size. The black jeans I had them a good 3 or 4 months before wearing them, so the receipt was long gone. ALSO, these capri jeans fit really weird. The left pant leg is shorter and 'skinnier' towards the ankle.

Actually thinking back now, even growing up in the 80's, I disliked Lee jeans, always liked Levi's. But wow, I had no idea the quality control on these is so apparently awful..?!?!? 
Respected Contributor

Re: Lee jeans..total junk!!! Anyone else have these issues??

.... which is why even if I grab jeans in my size and don't try them on in the store, I'll try the zipper and button closure to make sure they're in good working order. Zippers can be faulty too. I don't think I ever purchased clothing, brought it home, and didn't at least try it on within the first week.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@msh8970

Can you fix the buttonhole? Take a look at it and see if you can cut the opening a bit bigger with embroidery scissors. Jean buttonholes are bigger on the end where the riveted metal shank is when the jeans are buttoned and the opening is not always cut open properly so you might be able to enlarge it a bit.

Jeans made for a store sometimes use cheaper material and trim too. I have a pair of Levi's 512 straight leg jeans that the material feels scratchy like they are outlet quality fabric. I suspect that they were made for their outlet stores.

Honored Contributor

I have my Lee crops on in the Sunday picture. Liked them so much I returned to BJ's and bought 2 more pairs!

I've had them a couple of years now. No issues with buttons because they're snaps, and the color, on all 3, is steadfast after a gazillion washings.

Honored Contributor

Have never had a problem with Lee Jeans in about 50 years.  They, more than Levi, were my standby.  I am sorry you got their bad pants.

Super Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

.... which is why even if I grab jeans in my size and don't try them on in the store, I'll try the zipper and button closure to make sure they're in good working order. Zippers can be faulty too. I don't think I ever purchased clothing, brought it home, and didn't at least try it on within the first week.

Definitely, lesson learned!! I guess I was thinking Lee was a good quality brand. But yeah, still best to at least check the button and the zipper!! 

Super Contributor

@TY wrote:

@msh8970

Can you fix the buttonhole? Take a look at it and see if you can cut the opening a bit bigger with embroidery scissors. Jean buttonholes are bigger on the end where the riveted metal shank is when the jeans are buttoned and the opening is not always cut open properly so you might be able to enlarge it a bit.

Jeans made for a store sometimes use cheaper material and trim too. I have a pair of Levi's 512 straight leg jeans that the material feels scratchy like they are outlet quality fabric. I suspect that they were made for their outlet stores.

I thought about emlarging the button hole. Fearful of the entire thing widening too muc, then. My SIL is a pretty good seamstress, I will see if she can maybe widen the button hole, thanks!!  

Respected Contributor

Guess you should buy Denim  & Co., then....

Honored Contributor

Jean buttons and zippers are the reasons I started to buy pull-on jeans and jeggings. For me buttons and zippers rip, tear or become broken...then you are left with having to pay for repairs or simply end up throwing them out.

Trusted Contributor

I have never had problems with Lee jeans, other than Britannia jeans which are not made any more Lee is my only jean.