Contributor

Leather jacket lapel flopping around

Hi, I have a mackage leather jacket and one of the lapels is not folded and keeps flopping around. (Image below). I don’t remeber how it was when I bought it two years ago but this seems to be bothering me. Does anyone know how I can create a fold? I contacted Mack age customer care and they wanted a receipt of purchase which I no longer have. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mackage+funnel.neck+leather+jacket&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sivn&...:

Honored Contributor

Re: Leather jacket lapel flopping around

There are a lot of things you can do.  One would be use double face tape.

Another thing (you could use a very small piece of that hook and loop stuff that holds things together.  It comes in various strengths (as far as what it will hold).  One strength is very light.  I've found them to just peel off when not used.

VELCRO® Brand VELCOIN® Hook and Loop Fasteners

You put one on each side (they are sticky) and then just press together.  They are made to be used with material and will not hurt leather.  Just peel them off when unwanted.

Esteemed Contributor

You could try pressing the lapel but only when you use a towel or paper between the iron and the leather. You do not want to press directly on leather and you want to make sure that you are not pressing unwanted creases into the leather. If you have a dressmaker's ham, you can try pressing the lapel over it or a rolled magazine instead. Otherwise I would take the jacket to the dry cleaners and see if they can press the lapel for you.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I would press the lapel as advised in another post. I would take it to a cleaners that knows about leather garments. If you want something stronger, you can ask a tailor about adding a snap or hook but unless you never wear the zipper completely up, it will show.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

I'd fold it back, cover the surface with a dry wash cloth or dish towel, and wooden close pin it on the crease you want.  The lapels may be caught on the clothing it leans against in your closet as well.  Most of my jackets are protected like that when I'm not wearing them.Smiley Happy