Honored Contributor

Leather Outerwear With Sweater (Knit) Sleeves

I've decided not to buy any jacket or coat that doesn't have leather sleeves.

They all make me think "sweater" and all leather will always be stylish.

Do You have a preference?

Respected Contributor

Re: Leather Outerwear With Sweater (Knit) Sleeves

I don't have any real leather jackets or coats. 

But I do have an opinion about knit sleeves or panels on outerwear - I don't like them.

Some reasons: it looks trendy to me and I like my coats to last for years; knits are not as sturdy as other coat materials, they can stretch out and get snags; they can become soiled more easily.

Honored Contributor

I'll say one thing about knit sleeves and side panels, they make it more comfortable to get in and out of a car and doing anything that requires reaching or stretching.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A leather coat/jacket with knit sleeves is a no for me.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

I generally don't care for that.  A lot of times it cheapens the jacket, IMO

Esteemed Contributor

I really like the look, but I've found the 2 materials wear differenty.The leather body ages beautifully- but the sleeves get  worn. I have one or two pieces like this and I might snip off the sleeves and make them into vests!

Honored Contributor

I like both all leather or suede and the jacket with knit sleeves.    For me - they aren't interchangeable.  

I only have one suede jacket that has knit sleeve and collar. Bob Mackie's Turkish Delight.  And, I love this jacket!  But, I don't want more than one like this.

On the otherhand, I have a bunch of real leather and faux leather jackets and coats that I can throw on over anything and wear almost anywhere.

My BM jacket is "special" ... I don't wear it "just anywhere" ... it draws a lot of attention.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@peachesncream wrote:

I don't have any real leather jackets or coats. 

But I do have an opinion about knit sleeves or panels on outerwear - I don't like them.

Some reasons: it looks trendy to me and I like my coats to last for years; knits are not as sturdy as other coat materials, they can stretch out and get snags; they can become soiled more easily.

@peachesncream 

I have a suede jacket with knit sleeves that I've had for years ...and will probably have for many more years.   I wouldn't consider mine trendy.  It's a "special" jacket.

Granted knits aren't as sturdy as other materials ... but mine hasn't stretched, snagged or soiled.  I guess the expression is "gently worn."  

Respected Contributor

They do look nice, but I agree about the wear and tear part. Knits like that catch on things and are easily ruined. My leather jackets and coats hold up better over the years.

Respected Contributor

The only leather jacket I own with knit sleeves is the Linea Moto jacket in earth brown.  It is a beauty.  I highly recommend trying Linea by Louis Dell Olio's moto jacket with knit sleeves.