Trusted Contributor

Re: Leah and other hosts, and QVC, enough already that Oprah is on the cover wearing NYDJ Jeans

@tropics21 wrote:

Leah, Kerstin, other hosts and QVC, enough already stating that Oprah is on the August cover of O magazine wearing these jeans!!!! It is ridiculous, so far today both hosts have said Oprah at least 20 times, it is liking hearing Jane Tracy and the stupid FRIYAY a hundred thousand times. 

You must think that because a celebrity wears jeans that is reason enough to purchase. You must think your customers are stupid.  It is not the case.  As a matter of fact, broadcasting as a selling point that Oprah is on the cover wearing the jeans is a reason why I would not purchase as well as others.  I feel it is an insult.  I was surprised how many times Leah mentioned Oprah, my respect for her diminished this morning

I totally agree with everything you said and more. The way that some of them squeal out her name  OPRAH! is especially annoying to me. Just my humble opinion. LOL

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Honored Contributor

Re: Leah and other hosts, and QVC, enough already that Oprah is on the cover wearing NYDJ Jeans

Bothers some and not others, but knowing that Oprah's name used to create sales beyond almost anyone one else's name, I'm not surprised companies are still using it.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for your advice, but I don't appreciate receiving a   psychological session regarding the post I originated.  FYI, I am home taking care of my very ill 90 year old mother who watches it, so I am forced to watch and hear.  Some people are able to get out, others not. Have a great day outside

Valued Contributor

FYI, it would be nice if people that respond would be kind and think before they write.  FYI, and although nobody's business, I am a full time caretake of my 90 year old mother who is homebound.  She turns on QVC so I am forced to watch or listen to it because I am at her side 24-7.  Have a great day

Valued Contributor

Very well said, and I thank you as the original poster.  I felt I had to explain myself as to why I was home and watching to some of the mean posts here, and not that it is anyone's business, I explained that I am the full time caretaker of my 90 year mother who is homebound, and loves to listen to qvc, that is why I listen to it.  It bothered me that people felt compelled to be condescending and mean to my post when they have no idea what others are doing and what they do day to day, prior to writing words that are unkind

Honored Contributor

@tropics21 -

So right!

And if some are not able to do the "fun and exciting things", beyond posting or watching, that is so ok and no need to put anyone down.

We have no idea what people deal with in their everyday lives.

Watching or posting can be good company esp. when you are a caretaker or unable to get out much.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@tropics21 wrote:

Thanks for your advice, but I don't appreciate receiving a   psychological session regarding the post I originated.  FYI, I am home taking care of my very ill 90 year old mother who watches it, so I am forced to watch and hear.  Some people are able to get out, others not. Have a great day outside

Can you take your 90 year old Mother out side? I'm 85, have health problems, but still enjoy the world outside of my house. My sister is 97 and enjoys the outside too, she's never heard of QVC. Is there someone there that maybe can help you get Mom outside? Or how about audio books from the library for your Mother? For your own health, do something for yourself. I'm not trying to give you advice, just hoping I can help you. I took care of an 98 year old Mother and was determined I make the best for both of us. Your jobs not easy, I've been there.

Honored Contributor

@tropics21  What I noticed was the vendor's phony laugh.  He must have studied acting to get it precise each time.  As far as Oprah -- who cares?  

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

To the people riding your high horses today and making those of us discussing this feel like we are pathetic losers with no life. Please give it a rest. Some of us are doing things and have QVC on in the background so we hear what they’re saying. I almost always have tv on in the background while I search the internet, shop online, read the news, do housework, ironing, etc. I am not staring at my screen taking a tally of the Oprah mentions. PS it’s freaking hot and humid out and no I don’t want to go outside and take a walk so I can sweat my face off and feel dirty. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

No...they don’t think their ‘customers are stupid...’,

but watching television & in particular 1 channel, long enough

to hear one word being said ‘at least 20 times’ might be a concern. 

Get out, enjoy the sunshine, breath some fresh air. 

Play among the 3 dimensional people!

And yes, if wondering,  I’m writing this while sitting outside. 

Yes.  QVC does not cater to people who watch every day for long periods of time.  They repeat everything (products, sales pitches, etc) over and over because they're trying to reach as wide an audience as possible.  Which means people who watch at all times of the day and night, and most of those probably are channel-surfing or just checking in briefly.  It's not intended to be 24 hours of non-stop, ever-changing entertainment.  A lot of repetition is to be expected.

I used to work for a musician who toured.  Fans who followed him from city to city would complain that he wasn't changing the details of his show enough.  The truth was that the shows were not geared for people who went to every show. They were intended for a wider audience, people who would maybe see him once each tour when he came to their city.  He did try to change things up every now and then for his loyal fans, but I often thought these people were perhaps going to too many shows and had unrealistic expectations.  I see this as being similar to that.  (Everyone's definition of "too much" is different, obviously!)

(I'm editing this in light of what the OP has shared re taking care of her mother.  Of course there are situations where illness or something else causes people to be housebound with limited options.  My point, though, is that QVC is not at fault and does not consider their customers to be "stupid".  They aim to reach as large an audience as possible, and certainly can't be expected to satisfy people who - for whatever reason - watch for hours on end.  It would be nice if they could, but they're in the business of making money and they're going to repeat over and over whatever works for them.)