Honored Contributor

I agree re hanger ... shoulder bumps not an issue if hung with seams positioned on hanger.

------------------

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

I cannot stand waiting for something to dry in that manner and to me it is rather purposeless for my lifestyle. The low /delicate  or fluff dry cycle on dryers now days are fantastic. If I am concerned about slight shrinkage and an item not fitting comfortably afterward I put it on a hanger. I only use Joy/ HSN hangers for my own clothes and find if I hang shoulder seams correctly I never mishape anything. During cold weather I have a place to hang slow drying items over a register and where the door folds back and funnels the heat which works well.

Honored Contributor

Depending on the item, I may lay it flat to dry or hang it to dry.  With all my LOGO tops or tops of that material, I hang them to dry.  I bought a clothing hanger with multiple rings on it and put it in my spare bedroom.  There is always stuff hanging there to dry.  I also hang my bras there to dry.

In the case of sweaters and pants, I have 2 large dining tables in my basement that I use to lay clothes flat and I will also drape pants over chairs I have in my basement.   

Honored Contributor

If I can't put it in the dryer I don't buy it.

Lay flat to dry, hang to dry or dry clean only are not things I will spend my money on.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If I can't put it in the dryer I don't buy it.

Lay flat to dry, hang to dry or dry clean only are not things I will spend my money on.

Air drying clothing especially cotton and other natural fibers will extend the life of the clothes and keep them from shrinking and fading/stretching/wrinkling.  The dryer itself can be very damaging to clothes. i air dry all of my jeans.  I never put them in a dryer. 

Respected Contributor

My old dryer came with an insert screen where you could place an item or two to air dry.

DH installed a wide diameter PVC pipe in the basement ( it could go in our laundry room also ) so I could place his golf shirts and my tops to air dry without lines appearing from hangers.

He also put several along the far wall of our garage so I wouldn’t have to make the stairs.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: Lay flat to dry!

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie 

Depending on the weight of the garment (usually some sort of sweater) after it's been washed, I'll either lay it on a couple of layers of towels on my dining table, or if there isn't a lot of moisture to make it too heavy, drape it over the back of a chair that I've covered with a couple of thick towels.

Anything other than a sweater or other garmet that might stretch, I will just put on a hanger and hang to dry, even if it says to lay flat.  

I don't own a drying rack.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

I only have a couple of tops that say to lay flat to dry, and fortunately they are both of a very lightweight fabric that I wash by hand and lay on top of the clothes dryer to dry. I try to buy low maintenance clothes as much as possible.

Respected Contributor

I have folding rack with fat round rods that I hang all my tops. If it is a really heavy sweater I will fold a towel over and drape my sweater over a couple of the rods. But this is often after I have dried an item for a couple of minutes first just to fluff it up. No problems.

Regular Contributor

Every Saturday morning I take my bagged clothes to a local laundromat where they weigh the load and I pay them.  Every Sunday morning I go and pick them up all washed, dried and nicely folded.

I hand wash my bras, but almost everything else goes to the laundry (dry cleaning is separate, of course, but I don't have tons of stuff needing dry cleaning).  When I'm worried about a new item (something foolishly purchased without looking at cleanng instructions) I will hand wash it a few times just to see how it acts, but I hang it up to dry and eventually it also goes into the laundry bag.  

I hand washed a sweater once and laid it out to dry--it took three days.  I live in a small NYC apartment, I had to step around it for three days.  Never again.  

Every once and a while, I will have a catastrophe, but for the most part, everything comes out ok in the wash, LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie, I'm with you! I don't own a thing that can't go in the dryer on one of a number of settings! I have no room for gizmos to lay clothes on for air drying. If anything needs further drying, it gets hung on the towel rack in my bathroom.