Frequent Contributor

Re: Laurie Felt Jeans vs. NYDJ

@Eileen in Virginia Thanks for those great tips.  I never thought to compare the fit of 100% cotton vs. blends.  

Frequent Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity I'm glad to know it's not just me!!  Thank you.

Frequent Contributor

@ItsME Thanks for the information.  It's such a pain to find a good jean company that puts out a consistent product.  

Honored Contributor

I bought one pair of Laurie's jeans when her line was called Hot in Hollywood. I like the way they fit and I like the price, but I don't want another pair. I will not spend over 100 dollars for those NYDJ, especially when they don't care enough about the customer to make them in petites. I do not want jeans with a waist band that comes up 2 inches above my naval and an inseam that puddles another 2 inches around my ankles.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I bought one pair of Laurie's jeans when her line was called Hot in Hollywood. I like the way they fit and I like the price, but I don't want another pair. I will not spend over 100 dollars for those NYDJ, especially when they don't care enough about the customer to make them in petites. I do not want jeans with a waist band that comes up 2 inches above my naval and an inseam that puddles another 2 inches around my ankles.

@blackhole99, when I used to wear NYDJ jeans, I wore a petite size. They do make them. I know nothing about what they offer here; I bought mine on their site, at Nordstrom, and even some crops on Nordstrom Rack.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@Shanus: I’m confused with their size chart. I've been wearing a 4 in other brands but they are starting to be a bit loose and bagging out as I seem to have lost a bit of weight and trimmed down some more. When I look at the hip measurements I would be a 00 but looking at the waist probably a 4 but the hip would be way too big. I'm more on the curvy side with full thighs and 5ft. I believe you are a shorty also, aren’t you?

I should just go to Dillard’s and try them on instead of thinking of trying to guess. Our Chico's does not have them.

Thought I'd ask you since you’re always so helpful

@Sadiesadie  Yep, a shortie here, but can’t wear a petite because of the rise. I wear a regular and then hem. I measure between a 2 and 4 in NYDJ and size down to the 2. Perfect fit. If in doubt, try them on, but do not buy loose to be comfy in the dressing room...purchase the tighter of 2 sizes. They really give. The larger size will be baggy in a few hours. I don’t think Chico’s are the same jeans. Maybe NYDJ made them especially for Chico...completely different fit. Any doubt try them on. Not necessary to pay full price. I never have...try Nord. Rack, Amazon, NYDJ site, etc. 

I have several pair of NYDJ and always size down, as they do stretch and end up fitting just right. I have purchased all but one pair on sale at Nordstrom, The Rack, or Macy's. I got some great deals with Macy's "Last Act" pricing. The only pair of Laurie Felt jeans I've tried was a pull-on TSV last year. I ordered my usual size two and couldn't even get them over my thighs so I returned them. The high cost of shipping has kept me from trying any more. 

Football is my favorite season.
Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@Shanus: Thank you for your reply. Yes, I too generally don’t have luck buying a petite due to the rise. I'm used to having pants hemmed. Once in a while a petite works. Bought a jean legging last year in petite and the length and rise were perfect. Now they’re too big 😩

There is such a disparity between wAist and hip that it makes no sense. Will have to get myself to Dillard’s and quit wondering and whining.

@Sadiesadie  Take heart, I don’t think it’s just us. Besides jeans and pants, bras are impossible to find a good fit on the first try.

Honored Contributor

I wash my NYDJ jeans in the washer, cold water, gentle cycle and put on rack to dry...No shrinking and the color stays true. The dryer (not the heat, but rubbing against other clothing) will eventually fade the darker washes. I also wash them as seldom as possible...hence so many pair to switch off...2 pr. in each denim wash color, 2 black and 2 white (wear white all year) and then after about 2-3 months, jean washing day. 

Honored Contributor

@tobes wrote:

The stretching may be one of the reasons NYDJ suggest one order one size smaller

@tobes I think the vendor says it’s the “lifting” factor that requires sizing down. I’ll admit it’s puzzling why they just can’t incorporate the lift and tuck into the jean that’s measured one size smaller, but give it the measurements of the jean size you’d usually wear...like a size 4 has waist and hips for a size 4 not a size 2. I’m thinking it may be an attempt at vanity sizing. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus: I found a site, Third Love, I bought an olive colored bra from (the color is what drew me in. Their site is interesting because the have sketches of various breast shapes. You pick the one yours are like....they had mine perfectly...and then ask you if there is a bra that fit you well at one time and what was the size. I had just gotten fitted at Dillard’s so had that info. They have various options

Not  sure you will find it as helpful as I did but bra fits me perfectly. It was about $65 I think.