Frequent Contributor

One day last week when Brooke Shields was on, the host made some mention of how “money” her clothes were, some other comment about the wealthy. Brooke laughed and made a comment about how some of them are not that nice. I know Brookewas raised on the UES of Manhattan, went to an expensive private school, but this host was clueless. They throw those terms around but have no idea who they are really talking about. I can’t remember who the host was. Courtney  Kondabi? Jennifer? The other blonde, can’t remember her name.. 

Respected Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

And "colorways".

you took the words right out of my mouth @shaggygirl 

A colorway is not exactly the same thing as a color, and it is a real thing (not just a made-up word). It means "any of a range of combinations of colors in which a style or design is available." So you might have the same floral design in three different colorways -- blues, pinks, and yellows, or a striped pattern in two colorways -- primaries and pastels.

Trusted Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I don't mind "fabrication" at all.  To me it usually is used to point out "knit" or "woven."  It is my pet peeve not to have this info.  "Fabric" to me means wool, cotton, polyester, etc.

I would just say "woven" or "knit" + "fabric."  (Describes the type of fabric.)

I have never understood their  use of "fabrication," but I figure it's just some biztalk!  

Honored Contributor

Fabrication to indicate fabric is being used industry wide, not just at QVC.  I'd like to hear some really knowledgeable person explain how "fabric" made this evolution to "fabrication".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

I also agree.  Sounds affected.

When I hear "fabrication" I think "a lie."  I'm sure that's not what they are going for!

Absolutely! To "fabricate" something, is to make it up, as in a lie!

@Mothertrucker  I agree...and BTW, I had to do a double take on your forum ID...LOL

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@skatting44 

Not to mention "luxe", "trend right", "fashion-forward" and referring to inanimate clothing and accessories as "she" and "her".

I have to laugh as its just so unnecessary.

I really don't need a lot of fancy shmancy words to make me want to buy something. 

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@fancy pantsy wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

And "colorways".

A colorway is not exactly the same thing as a color, and it is a real thing (not just a made-up word). It means "any of a range of combinations of colors in which a style or design is available." So you might have the same floral design in three different colorways -- blues, pinks, and yellows, or a striped pattern in two colorways -- primaries and pastels.

@jonbon   

I don't think anyone means that it is a made-up word, but just that the hosts have finally found a new word, one which they did not have in their vocabulary heretofore, and now that they know it exists, they overuse it.

Honored Contributor

@mnmom wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I don't mind "fabrication" at all.  To me it usually is used to point out "knit" or "woven."  It is my pet peeve not to have this info.  "Fabric" to me means wool, cotton, polyester, etc.

I would just say "woven" or "knit" + "fabric."  (Describes the type of fabric.)

I have never understood their  use of "fabrication," but I figure it's just some biztalk!  

@mnmom 

Fabrication is the process of manufacturing and I have no idea why some hosts use it to mean "fabric."  

Honored Contributor

Another: "Let's unpack this," when one wishes to discuss an essay, a story, or some written composition such as a chapter from the Bible, a thesis on global warming, etc.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Latest overused Word

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@fancy pantsy wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

And "colorways".

@jonbon   

I don't think anyone means that it is a made-up word, but just that the hosts have finally found a new word, one which they did not have in their vocabulary heretofore, and now that they know it exists, they overuse it.

I've heard it used on the Q for many years, and from what I've seen, saying it's overused is a stretch. And, really, if they're talking about colorways of a print, there's nothing wrong with using it.

Same with the other term I mentioned in a previous post -- elastication. The only people I ever hear use that are those who have some reason to have used it in the past (i.e., they're British, spent time in Britain, etc.). And I do think some people think that's a made-up word, which it is not.