Honored Contributor

Re: Last night's episode of Yes to the Dress

Not everyone has the ideal family.  The dynamics are often unimaginable to us.  You don't know what went on, or how people interact from how they appear when you just see them.  You have no idea how the MIL treats the bride, or on and on and on.  

Let's cut people a little slack and not assume every mother is wonderful, every father is supportive, every parent hasn't been married four times to terrible people etc. No matter how a family might seem on tv or in public. 

Remember Charlie Harper's mother?  Yep.  There are some of them out there.  

Esteemed Contributor

I thought this may be of interest to readers of this thread.

$4,500: Average amount of money spent by a Kleinfeld bride. 1.5: Length in hours of a standard Kleinfeld bridal appointment. $695: Flat fee for alterations on a gown atKleinfeld. The average bride has 2-3 appointments.

There are so many lovely bridal boutiques with realistic prices but I guess if you got it why not.  The cost of alterations blew me away especially because it's a flat fee, not priced by amount of work needing to be done.  I watch the show to but like the one from Atlanta with Lori and Monte.  Seems more realistic,

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner OMG, thank you!!

I swear I think just about everyone here has The Cleavers for parents.

One of my co- workers in her 30's got engaged and when the wedding planning began, her mother and future MIL took over. After all, a girl can't know what she wants. The bride to be got so upset the couple decided to elope.

They had a simple back yard reception two weeks after they returned. Both the bride and groom's families refused to attend the reception. It was 20 close friends and supportive co workers. 

They are working professionals. No gift grab at all.

Honored Contributor

Is the mother paying for the wedding dress in the wedding in Italy?   

Super Contributor

I would be petty wop.  When she face timed the Mom before the wedding, I don't know if I would have even answered the call

Frequent Contributor

@sueeich wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

I saw that one too, but it sounded familiar, might have been a repeat.  She didn't want anyone at the wedding but she's going to have that reception so she doesn't miss out on all those wedding gifts!  I didn't sleep much and actually there was an all night marathon of SYTTD. Maybe it's still on for the whole day today. Some I watched in the wee hours were the Canadian version which are a nice change from the Kleinfeld version. 

I agree.  I like the Canadian version a little bit better than the Kleinfeld version.  The brides and the pricing of the dresses seems a little more down-to-earth.  Some of the dress pricing at Kleinfelds is absolutely ridiculous!  Spending $10,000 for a wedding gown just seems so crazy.  A few years ago, there was also a version of YTTD that took place in the UK and I enjoyed that one as well.  

I loved the UK version. Prettier dresses and more reasonable prices.

Honored Contributor

The bride would have been better off eloping.  Now she is hurting her mother's feelings and doesn't seem to care.  However, we don't know the whole story and the mother/daughter relationship on a whole.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw the episode and this would have hurt me to the core.  Yes, we don't know their history but they appeared to have a good relationship and the mother/step-mother appeared to get along really well also.  The bride to be kept saying that if they had the parents, then they wouldn't know where to cut it off because everyone else would want to come.  In this case, you cut it off AFTER the parents.  The bride also mentioned that the best man's girlfriend was coming also.  I wanted to reach through tvland and just shake that bride.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

One thing for sure.  As the mother, if I weren't included as far as the wedding, I'd be darned if I'd pay for the dress.

I would have posted the exact same statement.  I agree 100%!!

Also, this episode is either a rerun or it features another bride who wants to exclude her parents.