Super Contributor

Re: Ladies with limited income, how do you stay looking sharp?

I think you've been given good advice/tips here. I want to add that for me, ebay has been a great resource. Over the past couple of years I have lost a lot of weight, and I needed to build a professional wardrobe. That's hard to do all at once, and I have learned to follow certain sellers on ebay who have proven to be reliable. I have bought some amazing Linea clothing there, as well as Talbots clothing, some Isaac, etc. I know what styles work for me, and have gone from there. I have only been disappointed once. Give it a try!

Super Contributor

On 3/5/2014 fthunt said:

I don't splash my money at these designers or today's fads that are out tomorrow - so here are my tips:

Hair - get a good haircut

Nails - keep them shaped and, if you wear polish, maintain well polished nails - no chips and no purple/green ever! Looks cheap.

Wear only clean and ironed blouses/jackets - always look crisp!

Shoe - wear nice shoes that fit your outfits - no sneakers or crazy fad silly footwear

Aim for a 'rich' look without breaking the bank! Hold your head high - good posture is very important - (not the clothes)

ITA. It's not what you wear, it's how you wear it.

Honored Contributor

I have a limited budget AND I'm in the process of an extreme weight loss. I've had to replace my wardrobe once & am starting to replace that one! Even if I had a lot of money I'd be looking for bargains since my size keeps changing.

First, go through your closet & determine what needs to be tossed and what can be donated. Get rid of what needs to go! Organize what you keep & it will help you to see what your options are. Everyone does it a little differently. I like to organize by style & color. Tank tops are together and arranged from light to dark colors, same for short sleeves, long sleeves, jackets/cardigans, etc. BTW, my closet is currently less than half full & has been that way for a year, though the clothes in it have changed. I am managing pretty well with not very many clothes. lol...

I agree about consignment shops. I've bought a couple things at the consignment shop I take my too-big clothes to & love both. I plan to go jeans shopping there later this month. I hope I find some good ones. New jeans can be so expensive & they tend to stay looking good so pre-worn ones make sense. Selling what I can at consignment also helps with buying new clothes.

I stick mostly to classic basics to mix & match. Layering lightweight tops/tanks under cardigans, jackets, etc. gives more looks with less money spent. Most of my things are solid colors but I've got a few stripes & prints, too. I have noticed that they are worn less often than solids but I am very happy I have them for variety, too.

Fabrics that do not fade or pill help. Cotton tops are nice but I've found they tend to show wear quickly. Jersey knit type clothes won't fade or pill; they always look like new. Since I want to be able to sell these things when they are too big, that is another reason I shop for them. My cotton tops tend to look big & baggy faster, too. Jersey fabrics have a more flattering drape as they start to get big so I get more wear out of them before they are obviously too big.

I have become an expert clearance shopper. I'm not looking for cheaply made clothes & instead get nice quality ones that are highly discounted. This gives me more wear & also allows for resale.

Dillards & Macy's have good clearance sales with extra off but you need to get there when they have the sales. I used to be great at that but then I went for a few years not buying much of anything (working from home at the time & ended up with everything worn out like you) and am now working on getting back to watching for their sales. I signed up for their emails and that alerts me to the big clearance sales. I ignore the regular sales adds.

I look for the same type of sales from Coldwater Creek. I also took advantage of a Groupon for CWC that was offered last fall. I got two deals, spending $48 for $100 worth of gift cards. I'll be using that towards my spring/summer clothes in a few weeks. I'm hoping they will have one of their 50% off everything in the store sales son so I can get the most bang for my bucks.

Online, I have found some great deals. Admittedly there are lots of places to get great deals but too many stores might result in too many purchases so I'm happy with what I am doing online. QVC offers a Wish List & HSN has a Favorites list. The clothes I like go on those lists & I watch the prices.

HSN alerts me when there is a price drop and when something is almost sold out. Almost all of the things I buy from HSN are clearance items, usually almost sold out when purchased. I wait until I think the price is as low as it will go. Sometimes I miss out on things but I also score some fantastic deals - like a $119 G by Giuliana blazer reduced to $19 - and I actually got the very last one! The S&H is not bad either, sometimes free, usually discounted for clearance. I usually try to buy 2 items in the same day to take advantage of discounted S&H, too.

QVC does not discount as much for clearance items so I rarely buy clearance. Instead I concentrate mostly on the Lunchtime Specials. Last year I got several deeply discounted tops (most under $10) that were Lunchtime Specials. I always figure total cost though & often the addition of S&H caused me to pass on things I might have bought.

Accessories also make a difference. I went through my jewelry box, cleaned everything, reorganized, and discovered it was like buying new things! I make a point of wearing different accessories. I also picked up a great scarf for only $5 from HSN on clearance. I'm hoping to find a couple more for summer to add more looks for very little.

Trusted Contributor

House Cat>>>you got GREAT advice here. The people who count look for YOU...not to see what you wear. Choose the hints that work for you. I DO shop the thrift and consignment shops near me and am able to put together really nice outfits that look like they cost me a lot more. And accessories help for updates and can be the least expensive items. Make it a fun adventure, and don't sweat the small stuff. Better times are ahead. Good luck.

Frequent Contributor

I just try to take care of what I have but have also found some good deals on Ebay and Twice Clothing.

Frequent Contributor

Housecat, you really did get some great advice here. The only thing I might add to it is to say Choose Wisely…good taste costs nothing and all the money in the world can't buy it. Buy what you truly love and what truly enhances you.

Trusted Contributor

Check out Goodwill and other thrift/resale/charity stores in your area. Look for stores located near more affluent neighborhoods for the best donations of fashions, home goods, shoes, books, whatever. Learn about each store's pricing structure and weekly and daily "specials" for extra savings. It takes time and patience, and you need to shop these stores regularly, but you won't believe the great stuff you'll find. Eileen Fisher, Talbot's, Ellen Tracy, Chaus, Jones New York, Liz Claiborne, Ralph Lauren, Villager, QVC brands -- I've found them all for just a few dollars -- sometimes new with tags! Sometimes well-heeled fashionistas dump an entire wardrobe just because they gain or lose weight or because they have a color analysis or do a massive closet purge. And if I'm in Goodwill when they do, I win!

If you're the kind of lady who likes a treasure hunt and if you can be open to the unexpected, you'll be amazed. Have fun!

Esteemed Contributor

Such good suggestions here. I donate clothing and cosmetics to charities. Most of the clothing only slightly used and some never. Cosmetics as well. Maybe some churches, synagogues, sanctuaries, or hospitals would have a ladies make-up donation bin where cosmetics would be donated for those on limited income. Enjoy your adventure in finding the deals.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

Buy the best you can afford. Far better to have two pairs of well made pants than ten cheap ones that don't fit well. In addition, when a high end store has markdowns often times with a coupon it can be 75 percent off. Dress like the French who are known for having small closets with few clothes but always look chic because they are very picky about quality trumping quantity.
Super Contributor

As a couple of other posters have mentioned, check out theviviennefiles dot blogspot dot com. It is amazing what Janice can do with a few well chosen pieces!