Honored Contributor

I'm 62 and I had white gloves when I made my confirmation.  I was 11.  I wore them in church as we walked down the aisle.  Later, I put them in my little white handbag and that was the last time I wore or thought about gloves like that.  I have memories and pictures of the women in my family wearing gloves and hats to church, weddings, funerals.  

Esteemed Contributor

I remember white gloves from my childhood in the 50s.  And long white gloves with my prom dress in the 60s.  But now I only have some knit and leather gloves to keep my hands warm in winter and most of the time I forget to take them with me.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

I grew up in NJ and when my mother and I would dress up to take the train to NYC we would wear gloves that matched our outfits, in either cotton, kidskin or suede.  It was actually practical, because the trains usually had open windows and got quite dusty and the stations were hardly spotless. It certainly eliminated the need for hand washing!  My mother had these hand-stretcher thingies that you fit your washed gloves on to dry, so they would maintain the hand shape.  My mother had some over the elbow gloves that I thought were the coolest thing ever.

Honored Contributor

I remember my mother, grandmothers, and aunts wearing gloves with their outfits to work and church. I had a pair of white gloves as a child that I wore on my first communion and to church. I wore gloves that matched the dress I wore in my sister's wedding in 1970. That was probably the last time I wore dressy gloves. I think my mom, grandmothers, and aunts stopped wearing them sometime in the early 70s. 

Honored Contributor

This post reminded me ....

Our  (all girls) high school required that we wear hats and gloves - hats were uniform items, but gloves were our own choice.

Some of us were very "creative."  

When I started working, hats and gloves were just part of our normal "go to work" attire.  I have lots of gloves now ... but only one pair of white kid gloves are "dressy."

Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Our  (all girls) high school required that we wear hats and gloves - hats were uniform items, but gloves were our own choice.

When I started working, hats and gloves were just part of our normal "go to work" attire.  I have lots of gloves now ... but only one pair of white kid gloves are "dressy."

@ALRATIBA  Were your uniform hats the beret style? Ours were navy blue. Thankfully, we only had to wear them once a month to attend chapel. Gloves were not part of our uniform. That was late 60s/early 70s.

Honored Contributor

@LuvSoCal 

Yes .... berets!  (Grammar school was beanies!)

Brown berets freshman, sophmore and junior years.   Seniors had white berets.  Everyday!  (Our uniforms were suits - skirt / jacket.)

Most of us wore them as if they were "pancakes" .... flat on top of our head - held in place with a bobby pin.

This was late 1950s / early 1960s. - the days when "ladies wore hats and gloves."

Just got out my year book ... memories .....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

@LuvSoCal wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@ALRATIBA  Were your uniform hats the beret style? Ours were navy blue. Thankfully, we only had to wear them once a month to attend chapel. Gloves were not part of our uniform. That was late 60s/early 70s.

Valued Contributor
I wore a pair of lace gloves to my prom and I occasionally wear gloves in the winter if its super cold. The only times I've ever worn gloves. But I love the look of formal wear and gloves. So chic.
Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@LuvSoCal 

Yes .... berets!  (Grammar school was beanies!)

Brown berets freshman, sophmore and junior years.   Seniors had white berets.  Everyday!  (Our uniforms were suits - skirt / jacket.)

Most of us wore them as if they were "pancakes" .... flat on top of our head - held in place with a bobby pin.

This was late 1950s / early 1960s. - the days when "ladies wore hats and gloves."

Just got out my year book ... memories .....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

@LuvSoCal wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@ALRATIBA  Yes, matching navy blue gabardine jackets/skirts with white blouses, white knee high socks and saddle shoes! As seniors we wore red blazers. On chapel days we had to wear sheer hose, black dress shoes and those berets. I agree, good memories.