Honored Contributor

It seems that no matter where I go, women in general are getting more "relaxed" in their way of dress. At first jeans were the norm and even a better restaurant had to accept the trend. No one wanted to dress up to go out. Then the athletic attire..."I just came from yoga even if you didn't"...found its way into malls, grocery stores, coffee shops, etc. Now I'm seeing lounge wear. Women are shleping through malls and doing their errands in what seems to me like pajamas. Call me old fashioned, but I certainly don't dress up to go food shopping...jeans and a sweater w/ sneakers are fine with me. I just don't understand wearing something called loungewear for a reason...for lounging...at home.

Esteemed Contributor

OP I agree with you but we're probably in a tiny minority. On the other hand, I try not to judge people for looking sloppy because they may have just come from a bedside vigil at the hospital.

Contributor

I'm with you.  If you can throw on a coat to go to the store, you can throw on a pair of jeans and not just wear your pajama bottoms. And there's way too many folks out there dressed like slobs for them all to be coming from a bedside vigil. I do try not to judge, but sometimes you just have to say come on!  

Honored Contributor

Oh boy, do I ever agree with you!  This style of dressing has also caused me quite a bit of "aesthetic distress" (overstating for the sake of humor), but I have concluded that the new garb has us ready to colonize Mars.  Really, that is how I see it.  

Where has beauty gone?

Honored Contributor

I don't judge, but I did notice that when I worked in a hospital, the older ladies looked so nice. I would sheep to work in jeans, ( because I changed into scrubs ) and these ladies would look all chic and put together to see the doctor.And not just the ladies, but the older men too.  Now that I'm an older lady myself, I try to make an effort, because it is so easy to say , what the heck..

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

The first time l saw people wearing pajamas in public was at the mall a few years ago, on Black Friday morning. At that time, l thought they literally rolled out of bed to get there just when the doors opened, lol. I thought that would be a one-time thing, but l was wrong!  Woman Surprised

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@golding76  I'm not thrilled w/ the pj look. Don't get me started on beauty....unwashed hair thrown in a ponytail or bun on top of heads...takes a second for a swipe of color on lips or cheeks. Guess no mirrors in some houses.

Honored Contributor

This is a tad off what you are talking about, but at 3, I've begun to put my JR caftan on. I pour a little glass of wine and say "it's wine down time". LOL. I turn in earlier than most and we don't have drop in visitors, so I'm very carefree now.

Honored Contributor

I totally agree,  I went mall shoppin (which I rarely do) with a couple of friends and then we went to nice restaurant for our New Year's lunch.  It wasn't a chain restaurant, just a very nice "real" restaurant.  I've been jeans/sweater/boots girl for a long tine now.  That's casual dress for me and that's what I wore today.  My friends who are 60ish were dressed similarly.  I was a bit surprised by all the workout wear and pamjama-like leisure attire.  Not just in the mall but also at lunch.  Call me a dinosaur but I'd rather be too dressed up than go out in public looking like I'm at a spin class or looking like I just got out of bed.  It's just not me.  I like dressing up, I like looking nice.  I can do it and still be comfortable. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus

@Shanus wrote:

It seems that no matter where I go, women in general are getting more "relaxed" in their way of dress. At first jeans were the norm and even a better restaurant had to accept the trend. No one wanted to dress up to go out. Then the athletic attire..."I just came from yoga even if you didn't"...found its way into malls, grocery stores, coffee shops, etc. Now I'm seeing lounge wear. Women are shleping through malls and doing their errands in what seems to me like pajamas. Call me old fashioned, but I certainly don't dress up to go food shopping...jeans and a sweater w/ sneakers are fine with me. I just don't understand wearing something called loungewear for a reason...for lounging...at home.

@Shanus I agree with you but it's a different time.   I try to focus on my dressing and wear what makes me happy.  Clothing and dressing properly has always been important to me and I'm not about to change now. You can be comfortable and look nice as well.   I don't know if people just don't know how to dress anymore or have other things they spend money on.