Respected Contributor

I had a 30% off coupon at Kohl's, needed a new watch and decided to see how their watch selection was.  I got distracted immediately by the Dana Buchman display just inside the front door.  I picked up two very nice, stylish tops that were on sale for $19.99.  The 30% off brought the price to $15, too good to pass up!Smiley Very Happy  I also found a really cute Vera Wang t-shirt for $13.99 (final price $10), with a hi-low hem and contrast trim neckline.  Oh, by the way, I did find a nice watch!Woman Very Happy  No waiting or paying for shipping, got to try it on to be sure it fit, I'm a happy camper.  Oh, I also got $30 Kohl's cash to spend at a later date. 

Respected Contributor

Ironically some of my favorite peices at Kohl's are from Jennifer Lopez line...I say ironically cause I am not a J Lo fan. LOL

I also like some of Dana B items.  People say what junk they have received at Kohl's - not sure what they buy as I have always received decent quality. If you buy a house brand like So (I think that is their name) then I expect it to be a lower quality than Vera Wang line etc.

I bought my grandson lovely little Carter's rompers $6.99 with an additional 30% off.

My only complaint at Kohl's of late is the fact they don't accept coupons on EVERYTHING like they did before..)..NIke for instance.

I was talking to a Manager last weekend when I was making an exchange and he said until they can stop the sharing of coupon codes on line..more importantly the 30% off..they are going to keep making "exemptions.." to the coupon policy.  They are working on uniqure coupon code given to a specfic account # only. As iti s now to use 30% off coupons you have to use your Koh's card.  He said they are shared online and every order usually placed online they are using the 30% off and he said they only issue a % of them each time . 

He said they stopped accepting expired Kohl's Cash and people got mad and would call Corporate complain with a million sob stories   The store was then put on the spot when they said "call so and so at Corporate they said to speak to the Manager and they will make a one time exception..."  He said the excuses given were laughable...like old homework excuses.  I  actually heard one a few weeks back when the customer was going on and on ..about why she didn't use the Kohl's Cash before it expired as she was busy! The manager on duty told her that she was busy too..actually she would gurantee most people shopping are..

To me it takes nerve to ask even ask somebody to accept something that is expired.

Reality is what place would you go in an expect to honor a expired coupon or any other rpromotional offer? They have expiration dates for a reason. They made a very valid point!.

I digressed big time lol..but all rambling aside. I agree with you on some of the lines at Kohl's.

Trusted Contributor

I like Kohl's. I do have to travel about 30+ minutes to another town to get there. Love the JLo line. I've been quite pleased with what I've purchased there.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

I have had Kohl's cash expire and never thought to ask for an extension.  If I can't use it, it's my bad, just like any coupon. 

Yes, the reason they have to tighten up their policies is because people do abuse them.  I've been lucky to get a fair share of 30% coupons, but even if I get a 20% coupon I figure I'm not losing all THAT much by not having 30%.  And, you always get a second chance to ask for a scratch-off at the register to see if you get a better deal. 

Trusted Contributor

I got a great deal on a pair of men's Levi's.  They are regularly priced $58, sale $39.99, $10 discount, 30% discount, brought the price down to $21.  I bought two pair and am considering a third.  Not sure if all Levi's are on sale.  These are 569. 

Honored Contributor

I never knew Kohls accepted expired Kohls cash and I don't know why they would.  Why bother putting an expiration date on it.  I also don't buy the story as to why there are now exceptions to the use of coupons.  How about when they are issuing a 15% off to everyone?  You still can't use the coupon.  If you go to the Kohls website, there is a list a mile long of items/brands you can no longer use the coupons for.

My issue with Kohls is their pricing games.  They mark items up to offer a higher percentage off coupon then mark them back down so you really aren't saving more. 

Frequent Contributor

Kohl's has the best deals if you understand how to use coupons, codes and Kohl's cash. You can use the site: thekrazycouponlady.com if you need help understanding how to get the best deals at Kohl's and other stores

Respected Contributor

Nike, fitbit, keurig and several other co. are the ones that have put exclusions on discounts. kolh's is just doing their bidding, so they can keep the brand in the store.

we have been telling people that we won't except kohls cash, after it expires and some people just throw a hissy fit if they don't get their own way. there have been so many devious people that ruin our coupons, etc., by  they the store has started to clamp down.

sad, to say people, come on the boards and ask for 30%off code, that they aren't entitled too. just sign up for the e-mails.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I never knew Kohls accepted expired Kohls cash and I don't know why they would.  Why bother putting an expiration date on it.  I also don't buy the story as to why there are now exceptions to the use of coupons.  How about when they are issuing a 15% off to everyone?  You still can't use the coupon.  If you go to the Kohls website, there is a list a mile long of items/brands you can no longer use the coupons for.

My issue with Kohls is their pricing games.  They mark items up to offer a higher percentage off coupon then mark them back down so you really aren't saving more. 

They do play games with pricing.  When their best code is a 20% off coupon, the prices are less than when they offer a 30% off coupon.  Our Kohl's has never taken expired KC.

Honored Contributor

@CouponQueen wrote:

My only complaint at Kohl's of late is the fact they don't accept coupons on EVERYTHING like they did before..)..NIke for instance.

I was talking to a Manager last weekend when I was making an exchange and he said until they can stop the sharing of coupon codes on line..more importantly the 30% off..they are going to keep making "exemptions.." to the coupon policy.  They are working on uniqure coupon code given to a specfic account # only. As iti s now to use 30% off coupons you have to use your Koh's card.  He said they are shared online and every order usually placed online they are using the 30% off and he said they only issue a % of them each time . 

He said they stopped accepting expired Kohl's Cash and people got mad and would call Corporate complain with a million sob stories   The store was then put on the spot when they said "call so and so at Corporate they said to speak to the Manager and they will make a one time exception..."  He said the excuses given were laughable...like old homework excuses.  I  actually heard one a few weeks back when the customer was going on and on ..about why she didn't use the Kohl's Cash before it expired as she was busy! The manager on duty told her that she was busy too..actually she would gurantee most people shopping are..

To me it takes nerve to ask even ask somebody to accept something that is expired.

Reality is what place would you go in an expect to honor a expired coupon or any other rpromotional offer? They have expiration dates for a reason. They made a very valid point!.

Bed, Bath & Beyond takes their coupons regardless of the expiration date, so it's not unheard of.

I don't accept the explanation that manager gave you, as to why they now exclude certain lines from discount.

The reason I don't buy it is, I wrote directly to Kohl's Corporate over a year ago (shortly after they started excluding ranges) and was told in writing that, unfortunately, it is the perogative of the vendors to insist on this.  The essential reason was that it created unfair competition with other retailers.

I responded that, to me, the new policy smacked of price-fixing.  If the vendor receives the same payment from a retailer, that vendor should not be allowed to dictate the price the retailer sets.  (The reply was the basic "We share your frustration......")

I've been a Kohl's customer since the day they opened their first store in my area and I have no plans to stop shopping there.  I just make sure I'm aware of what the "real best price" is on an item before I buy it.

One other thing - if that manager's explanation was correct, it makes me wonder WHY manager's at three of the Kohl's stores in my area have helped customers place orders on the in-store kiosk and given them the 30% code, when they only got 15% or 20%?  I've been there, waiting my turn and seen it done.  One manager even shouted across to the CS desk to ask for the code; anyone near could hear it.  (I already had 30%, so it didn't matter to me.)