Honored Contributor

Re: Kind of O/T: 52 week money saving challenge

But you won't earn any interest, seems like wasting money to me. Why not have an automatic deduction from your bank account or paycheck put into savings? I have 10% of my paycheck deducted and put into an account that pays 1.7% which is not a lot but it's a lot better than 0.

Frequent Contributor

I started it. I am going backwards though, starting with 52 dollars last week and putting in 51 this week. I want it to get easier rather than harder as the weeks go on. I'm also thinking it will be great to see that envelope grow.

Super Contributor

On 1/5/2014 occasional rain said:

But you won't earn any interest, seems like wasting money to me. Why not have an automatic deduction from your bank account or paycheck put into savings? I have 10% of my paycheck deducted and put into an account that pays 1.7% which is not a lot but it's a lot better than 0.

I'll earn interest if I deposit it into my interest bearing savings account. I was going to do that instead of putting it in a jar.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” H.P. Lovecraft
Esteemed Contributor

Am newly retired, so was looking for something that would eventually allow us to take a vacation, as we haven't had one in 15 years, due to DH job losses and loss of 401s and the economy, etc. Am really excited! Thanks so much!