Respected Contributor

Re: Kim Kardashian West and "Kimono"

Smiley IndifferentSmiley IndifferentSmiley Indifferent

Honored Contributor

If Kim is prounoucing it Kim-o-no then she should spell it Kim-oh-no.  She is always looking for attention.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom , @luvbnagirl , and @chrystaltree - @JJsMom is right. It's the word "trademark" I had trouble with. I had always thought once you trademarked something NO ONE else could use the word. Of course I understand a kimono will always be a kimono, but I thought all other businesses could not use it. I have no problem with "Kimono" restaurants, garments, or kitty cat names, but when the mayor of KYOTO, a city I love, asked her nicely to reconsider, I thought she should at least listen to him. 

To me the connotation of Kimono is elegance and grace, and I associate it with Geisha and Maiko. 

Thank you everyone for explaining "trademark" to me. Legal issues have never been my strong point!

Anyway, I'm glad she's changing the name. 

@Venezia - LOL!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

It is just a word.  If she can trademark the name.....it must ne legal.  Blame the laws, not the Kardashian's.

There's a saying "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should."

As it turns out, she's decided to think of a different name; I'm sure the backlash helped her reach that decision.

Honored Contributor

At 38 it shouldn't take other opinions and a backlash for her to know that trying to trademark the name of a cultural item is wrong. She should just know that. As others have pointed out there's a history in this family of cultural appropriation and insensitivity.

There is a thing called thinking you can do whatever you want when you have money. I'm tired of that whole family.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I have no problem with "Kimono" restaurants, garments, or kitty cat names, but when the mayor of KYOTO, a city I love, asked her nicely to reconsider, I thought she should at least listen to him. 

@beach-mom 

Either it’s all or nothing. Can’t pick/choose.

Have a feeling if said restaurant was owned by Kim Kardashian,

people would uproar over that.   The proof is...she bowed down to

those opposing....and she’s still getting grilled. 

The sky will never be blue enough for the haters. 

Honored Contributor

She had to know this was going to be controversial.  That’s exactly what she wanted all along.   

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   Kris knows the show is soon going to end....and so she is finding replacement   income... they all have enough money...but They are obsessed with wanting more and more.  I am sure politics will be on the menu in the future...maybe Saint will be the Pres. Of the US someday.....

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@sidsmom   Kris knows the show is soon going to end....and so she is finding replacement   income... they all have enough money...but They are obsessed with wanting more and more.  

No reason to being politics into this thread.

But for the rest....’duh.’

What business w.a.n.t.s. to fail? 

Successful people don’t want that.

You might have a different viewpoint, but we don’t. 

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

It’s not ‘going to’ have it trademarked.

It IS trademarked.

This is so silly.  

People have been using the word ‘KIMONO’ for decades.

In fact, the trailer for KUWTK 2017 season had a song

called ‘KIMONO’.  Why was this cultured, revered word 

not challenge then?  Or any other zillion times the words was used?

This family unit could call something AIR and

people would get their panties in a bunch.

Seems short-sighted to complain about something so trivial...

only because of the last name of the person who trademarked it. 

Almost seems like harassment.  

Hope Kim takes legal action.

so I could go to the dictionary and pull up a word like "table" we all know what it is and get that trademarked and then anyone who sold a "table" and called it that would have to pay me for the use of my trademakred name?

As for harassment and takinbg legal action, against whom? Twitter users? Yeah, let's just use the legal system for something this stupid and trivial. What would she sue for? Money? Put haters in jail? You make no sense at all.