Honored Contributor

Keeping track of style/fashion jargon..

could be a full time job!? There doesn't seem to be much agreement on many of the terms liberally used.

Take for instance 'popover' ? 'fly away' 'status' 'spectator' 'short waisted' ...even my beloved 'pintuck' seems to apply to  more than one treatment?!

When someone mentions one of these terms they're often referring to something different than what's in my head....

end rant::

Honored Contributor

Re: Keeping track of style/fashion jargon..

@Andreatoo   I'm still trying to figure out how "fabric" got to be "fabrication".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Andreatoo   I'm still trying to figure out how "fabric" got to be "fabrication".

They think it makes them sound more intelligent, they are wrong. 😏

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

We all know what a fabrication is in relation to a garment....no mystery there

you can bing or google any of these other terms and get a bunch of seemingly unrelated examples...

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo 

Today's "kimono" is a prime example.  I have an SG top with an open front that was sold as a "scarf top.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Andreatoo 

Today's "kimono" is a prime example.  I have an SG top with an open front that was sold as a "scarf top.

@ALRATIBA 

ew ew that reminds! The 'caftan' they were selling as the TS on HSN was open front and belted?! Not what I think of as a caftan....

Valued Contributor

"color WAYS"!!!! why cant they just say "colors"?!? when did 5 color CHOICES become 5 "color WAYS"?!? or how about "iteration"?? idk even know if that's spelled right because idk what that even means!! & yea, "fabrication".....ugghhh!!!!
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 @Andreatoo 

I don't know who told the hosts to use "fabrication" in that manner, but it IS wrong.

fabrication
[ˌfabrəˈkāSH(ə)n]

NOUN
  1. the action or process of manufacturing or inventing something.
    "the assembly and fabrication of electronic products"
    synonyms:
    invention · concoction · piece of fiction · fiction · falsification · falsity · lie · untruth · falsehood · fib · deception · made-up story · trumped-up story · fairy story/tale ·
    [more]
    • an invention; a lie.
      "the story was a complete fabrication"
Honored Contributor

@ECBG    I've heard many people in the industry use the word "fabrication", not just QVC hosts.  I'd love to talk to someone knowledgeable to ask how this happened.  The younger generation doesn't even know what "fabric" is.  I think the poster who said they think it makes them sound important is correct.  It sounds more officious.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 @Andreatoo 

I don't know who told the hosts to use "fabrication" in that manner, but it IS wrong.

fabrication
[ˌfabrəˈkāSH(ə)n]

NOUN
  1. the action or process of manufacturing or inventing something.
    "the assembly and fabrication of electronic products"
    synonyms:
    invention · concoction · piece of fiction · fiction · falsification · falsity · lie · untruth · falsehood · fib · deception · made-up story · trumped-up story · fairy story/tale ·
    [more]
    • an invention; a lie.
      "the story was a complete fabrication"

@ECBG   Thank you - I agree!