Honored Contributor

Re: Kate's Green Dress in NY!

Love the dress!  And love the color!  (I'm a big fan of green!). Not a fan of the hemline of Meghan's white dress.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not sure, @SilleeMee .  Maybe she had bought a dress for the event and found out about wearing something "already worn".  Maybe she didn't have anything like that with her.  Your guess is as good as mine. Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Frequent Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Meghan's white dress is the winner IMO.

I prefer Kate's. The bottom of Meghan's is just weird to me and not at all flattering on her. To each their own.

Honored Contributor

I think they both look great. Each lady wears it well and looks beautiful!  

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@SilleeMee I believe they were asked to not purchase new dresses, but to wear something they already had.  You know, recycle, Save the Planet, all that rot.....Woman Wink

@tends2dogs 

Kate most certainly owns many dresses. Why rent one??

There is nothing wrong with renting a dress. IMO, it is a good idea if only one wear is expected. Maybe this will give a boost to clothing rentals.

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@SilleeMee I believe they were asked to not purchase new dresses, but to wear something they already had.  You know, recycle, Save the Planet, all that rot.....Woman Wink

@tends2dogs 

Kate most certainly owns many dresses. Why rent one??

There is nothing wrong with renting a dress. IMO, it is a good idea if only one wear is expected. Maybe this will give a boost to clothing rentals.

@Iwantcoffee 

There isn't anything wrong with renting clothing. That's not what I meant. I just don't understand why someone like Kate, with all of her own wardrobe to pick from, would rent a dress. I don't get it.

Respected Contributor

Why is this a contest? 

Respected Contributor

VOGUE

The Princess of Wales knows fashion can send a message.

At the second annual Earthshot Prize in Boston, which was established by Prince William and Sir David Attenborough to award five grants annually to ideas, people, and projects aimed at combating global warming, Kate wore a green Solace London dress rented from British fashion company Hurr.

Kate Middleton wears £74 rental gown as she attends Earthshot Prize Awards  ceremony in Boston | Daily Mail Online

How Kate sourced the gown spoke volumes. Instead of purchasing a brand-new gown, she opted to promote a more sustainable—and affordable—way of dressing.

According to a recent report, Rent the Runway estimated that their rental model has decreased the production of 1.3 million new garments since 2010. (67 million gallons of water and 44.2 million pounds of CO2 emissions have been saved in the process.)

The “green” color, too, was a poignant one, as the shade is often the one most associated with the earth and environmental causes.

Finally, Kate paired it with an emerald-and-diamond choker that once belonged to Princess Diana.

The royal has recently opted to wear pieces that belonged to her late mother-in-law, who was also the last person to hold the Princess of Wales title. As Kate continues to step into the role, such subtle tributes seemingly pay homage to the beloved woman before her.

Kate stuns in rented green dress and Princess Diana's emerald choker, at  Earthshot Prize ceremony | Stuff.co.nz

The senior royal often dresses with careful intent, such as wearing local fashion designers when she travels overseas. Yet, here, the princess shows a keen understanding of “the Kate Effect,” or the tendency for her clothing to sell or spike in popularity once she publicly wears them.

Now, it seems like an eco-friendly company might not only get the customer boost of a lifetime—but it may encourage buyers everywhere to think about shifting their consumer habits to less wasteful ones. Now, that’s influential dressing.

Contributor

Do not really care for either styles especially the white one on Megan not the season to wear white.  Megan is always trying to upstage Kate and their award was a farce so many other deserving people who have worked years for that award. 

Esteemed Contributor

They're both beautiful women and both looked like a million dollars in them. 

However, I didn't exactly love either dress.  I like the style of Kate's better (Meghan's hung a little strange to me) but green is not a favorite color of mine and I thought this shade was awful.  It looked how I feel when I'm sick.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown