Respected Contributor

Re: Just wondering

[ Edited ]

Definitely, read the reviews.  It's helpful when people share their height, weight and the size purchased, but not everyone does that. 

In the above mentioned item, 7 reviews isn't enough to get much info.  Our bodies are all different.  One might say a garment is too big in the shoulders when that person actually has narrow shoulders.  What you want is to see the same issue pop up in several reviews.

Valued Contributor

I think the clothes the models wear are sometimes altered to make them fit better, whether with clips or pins or by nips and tucks. I watched a show a few years ago with Bob Mackie, and he pointed out very strongly that the models wear his clothes AS WE WOULD GET THEM, in other words, nothing has been done to make them look better on the models. He very much implied that for some other fashions on QVC, that this was NOT the case. 

I don't even like it when I see clothes on mannequins in stores that are clipped!

Honored Contributor

I've seen it on HSN, QVC and Evine.  Big clamps or pins on the back of items to make them appear more fitting.   I've also seen the legs of pants pinned in so they weren't so wide looking.

I saw it on an HSN host one time with a DG top.  The top was so cute and the way it looked on the host almost made me buy it.  Then the host turned to the side just enough that you could see the clip pulling the item tighter. 

The other night Amy was wearing a jumpsuit during her Halston show and was talking about the length and then went on to say she didn't need to get a tailor involved.  It made me think that there are times when clothes are tailored for her so they fit her properly. I can't imagine she can wear most of QVC clothing because she's so small. 

I have no doubt clothes on HSN are tailored to fit Bobbi Ray.    

Esteemed Contributor

I have found that a few of the blouses (not knit tops) that Susan Graver has in her line are VERY tight in the arms....at this point i would still order the knits....but don't order any of the poly/crepe/non-stretch tops....and i don't have "thin" arms.........BUT these arm measurements seem definately too small.    Any tops i have tried on at the local stores i have never had the problem...

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoesI think so -  on the shopping channels, in the catalogs, everywhere they can!  This week in NYC is fashion week -  what the major houses show has been designed for the show -  what hits the stores will be slightly different.  Has to be or only Katia and Brenda bodies could get dressed!

I love seeing the clothes on the models, but for the most part that's a fantasy.   I even understand why they all do it - I'm far less tempted to try clothes when they're shown on the models with less perfect figures -- even when I know my figure is even farther away from perfection!

Respected Contributor

In over30 years, I have never noticed clamps or clips on the clothes modes wear.  I don't believe Qvc does that.  I do think that Qvc alters clothes to fit the models better, that's why certain models work with particular designers.  

Honored Contributor

Well I guess if you've never noticed it, then everyone else who has seen it is either lying or seeing things.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Just wondering

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Hm, clamping or pinning clothes on models to MAKE the items fit and then sending the model(s) out to show them?  Interesting.

Here's an idea - why wouldn't you as a model getting ready to show chothes on tv just try on a couple of sizes to make sure they fit properly?  Gee, now there's a concept.  I know when I hit the B&M shops and find items I want to try on I WILL take in two sizes sometimes depending on what the items look like AND already knowing my body type and how they may already fit & look.  Then I buy whatever size fits me best, looks right, feels great on, and if none of the sizes fit, back on the rack it goes.

How utterly stupid is this that models would pin up an outfit, a shirt, a dress - whatever, to MAKE it fit.

Let me also say that in the case of Graver big shirts (because I have a collection of them now) I have never experienced them to not fit good anywhere ie bad shoulder alignment, tight sleeves, sleeves too long or too short, too tight across the bust or back, well you get the picture.  I can count on the size to be the same for me always.  Maybe I'm just lucky or good at picking the right size but I've always found them to be consistant.  I cannot say this about other lines like Denim & Co however - that brand is a guessing game for sure no matter if it's a top or pants. 

So back to the topic of pinning to make the clothes fit - utterly ridiculous as I said.

******PinkDogwood....In terms of logistics, they don't pull a line of sizes of each size, each item, each model.  Each girl has a rack of her clothes and quickly dresses before each set (presentation). The clamp is added when the model gets jewelry and a a visual check before she walks out. When Gary was new they went behind to the models area and showed everything.