Super Contributor

Just what exactly is vaqueta leather???

SO I hear the D&B lady say its a "smooth" leather...   OK got that.  But what exactly is vaqueta leather.  Is it from a vaqueta cow?

Honored Contributor

Re: Just what exactly is vaqueta leather???

vachetta 

Google can tell u all 

Honored Contributor

@bigtraps    I would describe it as a smooth leather with a cross-hatch sort of texture that looks exactly like the cheapest K-Mart vinyl leather.  I despise it but it does supposedly wear well.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It's like leather and vinyl/coated cotton hooked up and this is the offspring......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I LOVE the idea of a Vaquetta cow! Adorable!

As far as I know, the term refers to the texture of the leather. It's not smooth, and not as bumpy as pebbled leather, but somewhere in between. It's quite finely textured with a firm finish that makes it easy to waterproof than pebbled and harder to scratch than smooth. Quite durable. In the end, though, it's just personal preference.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@bigtraps    I would describe it as a smooth leather with a cross-hatch sort of texture that looks exactly like the cheapest K-Mart vinyl leather.  I despise it but it does supposedly wear well.

Vachetta leather doesn't have any "crosshatch" at all.  It is smooth, quality leather.   You are describing Saffiano leather. 

Honored Contributor

What is Vachetta leather?

While there is no formal definition, Vachetta leather is a type of full-grain, vegetable-tanned leather made from cow hides.

Vachetta, in particular, is distinguished by its high fat content and natural, almost untreated finish. The fat content creates a soft, buttery-to-the-touch finish.

While the name Vachetta comes from the French word for cattle, it actually has an Italian heritage, being produced mainly in Tuscany. Hence the common description of Florentine Vachetta leather.

Luxury giants such as Louis Vuitton have elevated this particular hide to a coveted status, with the LV monogram and uncoloured Vachetta handles and trims seen widely across its product range. Recently, Vachetta has enjoyed a spike in popularity through its use in sneakers including the Jordan Vachetta Tan sneaker.

In its raw state, Vachetta leather is often a pale beige or off-white colour but it can be dyed in a number of hues. Find it used in anything from shoes, wallets or bags to much larger pieces of luggage and furniture.

One of the most notable characteristics is the hide’s ageing process. As time passes, the colour almost always darkens – or begins to develop a patina – ensuring your piece remains unique. This means that no two bags will look exactly the same as each will have its own distinctive characteristics.

Honored Contributor

@SarahW wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Vachetta leather doesn't have any "crosshatch" at all.  It is smooth, quality leather.   You are describing Saffiano leather. 

@SarahW   You're right; I was mistaken.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SarahW wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SarahW 

We do know our Dooney leather don't we, wink! wink!

Hope you and yours are well.Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

jackthebear - I did google it.  It said it was leather.  HAHAHAHA.  So what is it sugar.