Contributor

Just read many posts about Dennis Basso's suede still smelling bad

I was reading reviews about some Dennis Basso suede coats and jackets, and many reviewer complained of the clothing having severe kerosene type smells.

This complaint has been going on for a very long time. Years ago, I purchased a darling deep purple suede short coat with a rremovable hood from Mr. Basso's line. It has a zipper and plastic horn shaped "buttons" that leatherette loops hooked around.

When I received the coat, a friend was visiting. I opened the package in my living room. My friend immediately began coughing and sneezing; tears were running down her face and mine, both of us gagging as my friend yelled, "Throw that thing oiutside."

Which I immediately did.

It was early summer and there was no way I could keep the coat in a closet or in any room in my house, the smell was so strong. I admit I am sensitive to smells, but apparently a great many other reviewers of Mr. Basso's suede are too.

My friend's dog was visiting as well, and he actually growled at the coat, then immediatlely ran as far away as possible---to the other end of the house and scooted under my bed.

The only place I could think of to try to air it out within 30 days was the garage, where I hung it. I had emergency surgery a few days later, and while recuperating, I was in no shape to box up and return the coat.

The color and design of the coat is darling, and since I was stuck with it, I left it in the garage to air out. Every time I went to my car, I passed near the coat and the smell lingered for months.

This saga began in early summer, and I actually thought I would have to throw the coat away the smell was so foul. It was washable suede, but I had read many too many reviews of people ruining their suede coats by washing them, so I did not want to chance it.

Winter came, and after 8 and a half monhts of hanging in my garage, the smell finally seemed to disappear. I brought it inside as it was winter, and yes, the smell was gone. But I doubt will purchase another suede coat online.

Respected Contributor

Re: Just read many posts about Dennis Basso's suede still smelling bad

I had a similar experience years ago with the purchase of a long leather coat from another seller. It sure smelled like kerosene to me. I sent it back and got my coat elsewhere. Not sure what causes that smell. never had it with any of my other leather pieces. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

unless they specify Lamb leather or the like... much of the leather is Pig leather. And most of it is full of chemicals.  I remember many years ago when living in SanDiego as a child... my sister purchased some leather sandals in Mexico... when she brought them home and put them on... our dog took one smell , growled and ran and hid. We believe that the shoes were made from DOG HIDE.  When you purchase fur and leather... know where it came from especially if the leather or fur was bought in china. Much of the fur for collars and such is from cat and dog. Even the so called synthetic furs have been found to be REAL CAT AND DOG FUR.

Respected Contributor

Hippogleam  I read the reviews also and I believe one of the other lines that sold washable suede mentioned strange odors . I thought when I saw washable suede and cute styles --great!  I changed my mind after seeing many reviews stating the same thought concerning odor. I think the faux leather and suedes are wonderful anymore.

As to dog fur and imported coats that have had faux fur , it has been years ago but I had one with a supposed faux fur collar that looked just like my pet ,then read an expose about that subject, so I got threw the coat away --ewwSmiley Sad 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think you can generalize about washable suede - it's more the luck of the draw.  I have Dennis Basso's washable suede moto jacket that was a TSV last fall, and there has never been the slightest smell.  On the other hand, I ordered a suede jacket - not washable - from another Q vendor last year and it had such a horrible stink that I had to return in spite of loving its looks and feel.  With that jacket, some posters reported a terrible smell while others had jackets with no smell at all.  As far as washability, I haven't needed to wash the Basso jacket, but I've had other washable suede clothing over the years (it's not a new thing) and they all washed and dried beautifully.  I even got an oily stain out of a washable suede skirt without any damage at all.  You just never know.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett