Respected Contributor

Just heard the host say again...

how we are "not wearing ball gowns for the forseeable future." When was the last time you wore a ball gown?  Ok ok...I get it..she's just using that as a metaphor...still...

Makes me think of SG...who's said for years..."can wear it to a black tie event"...and I think...the last black tie event I went to...the only one (not counting weddings, which are not all black tie) I ever went to...was in 1986 in NYC.

Ok mindless rant over.

I think I've been home too long, and will get out for some fresh air now. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just heard the host say again...

Back when I got married, my Mom and future Mother in Law wore long dresses at our wedding.  Nowadays, you don't even see that.  When my son got married in 2014, I did not wear a long dress, and won't in January when my other son gets married.   A long dress would just seem out of place.

As much as I would like to go to a "black tie event"  or a "ball," I just don't see that happening, not for me anyway.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

nope, if I have any sense, won't be no plane riding, party going, crowd seeking, rallies to attend, etc.  People should take stuff seriously.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

SG saying that about a LK dress used to make me laugh.

If DH and I had such an invitation you better believe I was going to get fine dress.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never had a ball gown on my body. Never. ......Maybe I'm missing out! LOL......Maybe I should buy one and wear it as I work from my home office and attend virtual meetings all day.......

Honored Contributor

It would seem the term "ball gown" is out of place.  

Evening wear has been mostly "A" line to slim for decades, except dresses got rather gathered around the time of Di's fairy tale wedding dress.

I love to see the entire wedding party in long dresses.  I think the short dress phase in weddings has come in with the cowboy boots worn with shorter dresses so the boots could be seen.

Respected Contributor

I think brides and attendents in cowboy boots or tennis shoes is tacky. But it is none of my business just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

Back when my husband was active duty military, we had two "ball gown" functions yearly.  He's been retired almost 10 years and I haven't needed a ball gown since! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I think brides and attendents in cowboy boots or tennis shoes is tacky. But it is none of my business just my opinion.

@chessylady I've been to several.  Of course it was the bride's and groom's choice, but  I never liked it.

I think the "get a dress they'll wear again"  was somewhat in their minds.  

Country kids often can't afford or don't want to rent a tux.  They can all wear jeans again, so they all buy jeans.

IMO, I have been to many weddings where long dresses for the  bridesmaides would have been much more flattering.

Valued Contributor

I didn't go to prom or homecoming in high school.  I went to two valentine dances (short dresses).

My wedding dress was nice Smiley Happy

Never have I ever worn anything with sequins or a fancy formal gown.  Once I wore a black velvet long skirt with a silver-y blouse.  I think that was in the 90s.

The world has certainly evolved.  At work we wore dresses and suits hose and heels for many years (dry clean only I might add).

Then after 2000, things changed, piercings and tattoos hit the workplace, no more hose required and boom!  Casual workplace became the norm.

You rarely see people in dresses unless they are sundresses or casual long ones.  At least where I am!