Honored Contributor

Re: Just a personal observance......

I love wearing black, however I think blonds look better in navy. I like to accessorize with classic jewelry pieces or scarves. 

Super Contributor

Navy is my black.  Black washes me out while navy is flattering.  I feel that way, and many have told me the same thing.  I can dress it up or down, and feel comfortable in it.  That is the key.  If you like the colors and style you are wearing, you have confidence and it shows.

Honored Contributor

I'm definitely NOT a black fan. Probably because anything I wear thats black is a disaster in my home of 2 long hair cats!! I walk around with a sticky roller in one hand! Lol! But nope I've never been a fan of wearing black. It especially drives me crazy seeing so many women wearing black to weddings! Black is for funerals...period.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good point, @qualitygal.  To me, black is "dressy."   I don't wear black ordinarily, but when I want to feel and look "dressed up" or formal, I wear a black suit or silky white blouse with black skirt or slacks.  

Edited to add:  Pearls also make me feel dressed up.  When I wear one of my pearl necklaces and earrings with a black suit - look out!   That's as dressed up as I'm ever going to be! 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Joan Rivers always said black is a blank canvass. Anything you put with it just pops. Black has always been chic..It is a color I can wear despite my delicate coloring. I used makeup of course, but it is a perfect foil for me ,and I am surprised at all the compliments I get when I wear it

Trusted Contributor

Because of my soft summer coloring I can't wear black it washes me out. Medium Navy is my neutral dressy color.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

Color doesn’t say dressed up to me; style of the clothing and how it is accessorized does.

Esteemed Contributor

Black and navy (and gray) are my basics for pants and shoes. Always classic and looks great with pops of color. 

I remember my brunette, brown-eyed mom and older sis always preferred brown and ivory colors. So, of course, I wore my sis' clothes and mom bought me her favorite colors. I've got my dad's light blue/gray eyes and lighter brown hair. I read COLOR ME BEAUTIFUL in high school and learned, while other females in my family were 'autumn,' I was 'winter' with black, white and jewel-toned colors looking best.

So, I began changing my colors and the compliments came pouring in. Have loved black ever since!   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Frequent Contributor

Red...Black is a formal look but Red perhaps with a nice black shoe and matching red bag feels very celebatory to me Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

When I was young black did nothing for me, made me look like a little old lady. Now that I am a little old lady and my coloring has changed, I wear it and IMO look good in it. I think black good great dressed up or casual.