Super Contributor

Re: Joan's Doctor Snapped a ""Selfie"" During Her Procedure

So what ? You would also if in her presence...my gosh, she was JOAN RIVERS ! He had no way of knowing at the time what would happen to her.

When are you gossip-mongers going to stop discussing Joan and let her rest in peace?????

You are just as bad as others who won't leave her alone.

Trusted Contributor

It seems rather unprofessional for a doctor to snap a selfie with a famous (and unconscious!) patient. Selfies and other phone photos have become so prevalent, however, that I think a lot of people snap them without much thought. Unless the doctor planned to use the photo for profit or publicize it in some way, I wonder what laws or professional guidelines (if any) govern such photos. I'd think photographing a sedated patient without knowledge or consent would be considered inappropriate at the least.

It seems to me that the doctor's competence and conduct during the medical procedure are separate issues from the photo. The fact that the doctor snapped a "selfie" -- even a possibly inappropriate selfie -- doesn't mean she did (or didn't) properly perform the procedure.

Respected Contributor

How sad it is that even one person here feels it was no big deal for this doctor to be goofing off and performing unauthorized procedures. It's awful to think that no one on the staff with this doctor called him out when he was doing this stuff. So much for someone looking out for the patient. So obvious that all of this coming out now was known in the beginning. Now, it's all making sense. Joan Rivers died because of total incompetence.

Super Contributor

On 9/17/2014 ibb38 said:

There are potentially several sides to this 'unamed sources' report - I'm sure pictures and videos are taken throughout procedures for many reasons (educational, medical records). Everyone's jumping the gun (no surprise there) that the intent was a narcissistic selfie.

A selfie has nothing to do with a medical procedure. Its being reported on reliable sources and it was people at the clinic who told investigators. Also as of yet that doctor hasn't Denied the claims! So as far as I'm concerned this is news and it's not good. Nobody has the right to snap selfies of a person unconscious in a medical facility. So your saying selfies were taken for Educational purposes?!! What planet are you on?
Super Contributor

I think the doc who took the selfie was the ENT doc who did the biopsy. He didn't have privileges at this clinic. The gi doc who was doing the endoscopy had privileges and he allowed the ENT to do the biopsy that had not been authorized. That's why he was let go.

I've worked in surgery in a hospital and there are all kind of things like this (the silly behavior) that goes on along with different types of music, depending on the surgeon's musical taste. One case a doc found some lint in a ladies' belly button, picked it out with forceps and chased a nurse around the room with it. I'm not surprised by the selfie.

Super Contributor

On 9/17/2014 blossompie said:
On 9/17/2014 ibb38 said:

There are potentially several sides to this 'unamed sources' report - I'm sure pictures and videos are taken throughout procedures for many reasons (educational, medical records). Everyone's jumping the gun (no surprise there) that the intent was a narcissistic selfie.

A selfie has nothing to do with a medical procedure. Its being reported on reliable sources and it was people at the clinic who told investigators. Also as of yet that doctor hasn't Denied the claims! So as far as I'm concerned this is news and it's not good. Nobody has the right to snap selfies of a person unconscious in a medical facility. So your saying selfies were taken for Educational purposes?!! What planet are you on?

My understanding that the dr took a selfie of himself......not Joan.

Super Contributor

On 9/17/2014 aprildreams said:
On 9/17/2014 ibb38 said:

From what I been hearing She took the selfie with with Joan in the background. Regardless it's in bad taste and unprofessional and anyone who witnessed that and didn't say anything at the time are just as bad
Super Contributor

On 9/17/2014 ibb38 said:

From what I been hearing She took the selfie with with Joan in the background. Regardless it's in bad taste and unprofessional and anyone who witnessed that and didn't say anything at the time are just as bad

Oh, I didn't know Joan was included in the selfie and believe me, I'm not condoning any of this behavior.

Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 ibb38 said:

Please name your sources. Not the news, but those people that are the source of these statements given to the news. And where are these photos with joan?

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/17/2014 ibb38 said:

The planet of reality!

Don't want to be an American idiot
One nation controlled by the media
Information age of hysteria
It's going out to idiot America

Green Day - American Idiot Lyrics