Esteemed Contributor

Re: Joan Rivers re The N Y Times - not speculation

On 9/15/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 9/13/2014 Sheesh said:

The treatment of Joan was so shameful it is beyond imagination! I am just sick, sick,, sick at the loss of her. People everywhere are reeling over this. In my small town in Western Massachusetts, people were toasting to her in a restaurant last night, and a woman told me she was at another place the night before and they were toasting her there, as well. I hope Melissa and Cooper really know how much Joan was admired and appreciated and that people are really sad and angry at her premature loss. Joan could have gone another strong 10 years---she could have seen Cooper graduate from college---it's more than a shame, it's outrageous!

You would like to THINK that, but no one knows for sure .... she was an elderly woman with a heart condition and more than a dozen major surgeries under her belt. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

She could have died at home that morning, putting on her makeup!

An irregular heart beat isn't a 'heart condition' per say. Many people walk around with one and live a good long life. And if anything- Joan's elective surgeries confirm how tolerant she was of anesthesia in general.

I agree with Sheesh- and am also incredibly sad at her premature passing.

Honored Contributor

The treatment of Joan was so shameful it is beyond imagination! I am just sick, sick,, sick at the loss of her. People everywhere are reeling over this. In my small town in Western Massachusetts, people were toasting to her in a restaurant last night, and a woman told me she was at another place the night before and they were toasting her there, as well. I hope Melissa and Cooper really know how much Joan was admired and appreciated and that people are really sad and angry at her premature loss. Joan could have gone another strong 10 years---she could have seen Cooper graduate from college---it's more than a shame, it's outrageous!

Boy oh boy - talk about about a premature jump to conclusions.

Honored Contributor

Stop the foolishness. Perhaps the article is in the NY Times, it's still nothing more than rumor and speculation. It is NOT at all uncommon for a doctor to be granted TEMPORARY privileges at hospital. It happens all the time. Sometimes a patient wants to have a procedure done at a facility by their own surgeon but that surgeon does not have privileges;so, there is a process for granting such a surgeon temporary privileges.

Honored Contributor

On 9/13/2014 adelle38 said:

"There have been no accusations that Ms. Rivers’s treatment by Dr. Cohen or anyone else at the clinic caused her death, "

That's the 6th paragraph in and way too many people never read beyond the headline.

Honored Contributor

Okay, am I the only person who doesn't feel 81 is that old? She turned 81 2 months ago. A few people act like 81 is ancient,and no really deserves to live that long. LOL. She was only 14 years older than me{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 shoekitty said:

Okay, am I the only person who doesn't feel 81 is that old? She turned 81 2 months ago. A few people act like 81 is ancient,and no really deserves to live that long. LOL. She was only 14 years older than me{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Joan didn't seem that old to me either, and I'm no where near eighty one!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Trusted Contributor

My mom died at age 74 and my dad passed at age 81. My MIL was only 61 when she died. I didn't think any of them was old enough to die. But, I guess we don't get a say in the matter, do we? Wink Still, Joan sure didn't seem very old. She seemed way too vigorous and spry. When these things happen it makes me think about how important each and every day is; and how we should live life to the fullest.

OT...hope you're feeling well.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 chrystaltree said:

Stop the foolishness. Perhaps the article is in the NY Times, it's still nothing more than rumor and speculation. It is NOT at all uncommon for a doctor to be granted TEMPORARY privileges at hospital. It happens all the time. Sometimes a patient wants to have a procedure done at a facility by their own surgeon but that surgeon does not have privileges;so, there is a process for granting such a surgeon temporary privileges.

Absolutely. Further, having a procedure done in a hospital may or may not be better for the patient.

Honored Contributor

On 9/13/2014 GoodStuff said:

Certainly the unexpected passing of this prominent, talented, much-loved woman is sad for her family, friends and fans. However, whether it is "shameful" or "outrageous" depends on the results of the ongoing investigation (the full results of which have not yet been released). Also, it's important to keep some perspective. Joan may have been lively and active, but she was elderly -- in her 80's -- had undergone many elective surgeries and anesthesias, and reportedly had problems with heart arrythmia. Yes, she might have lived another ten active, productive years -- or her sudden passing may have spared her some of the illness, disability, and decline that often come with advancing age. We'll never know.

At the very least, her death is motivating a fresh look at the pros, cons, and possible risks of outpatient surgery centers. All of us await the facts of the investigation into her death and wish peace and healing for her family. What a personality and what a talent. She will be missed.

Very well said.
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/16/2014 ECBG said:

Joan didn't seem that old to me either, and I'm no where near eighty one!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Ditto- 55 years old here!