Respected Contributor

Joan Rivers re The N Y Times - not speculation

Wow, a doctor brought in with no privileges at that clinic? Terrible. Also, a drug used to relax vocal chords in spasm not on hand? Wow.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/nyregion/doctor-who-worked-on-joan-rivers-steps-down-from-post-at-...

Trusted Contributor

Re: Joan Rivers re The N Y Times - not speculation

"There have been no accusations that Ms. Rivers’s treatment by Dr. Cohen or anyone else at the clinic caused her death, "

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

The treatment of Joan was so shameful it is beyond imagination! I am just sick, sick,, sick at the loss of her. People everywhere are reeling over this. In my small town in Western Massachusetts, people were toasting to her in a restaurant last night, and a woman told me she was at another place the night before and they were toasting her there, as well. I hope Melissa and Cooper really know how much Joan was admired and appreciated and that people are really sad and angry at her premature loss. Joan could have gone another strong 10 years---she could have seen Cooper graduate from college---it's more than a shame, it's outrageous!

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Respected Contributor

..and the NFL commission didn't know about the Rice incident either.....

Newspapers, TV etc. they just tell you what people want to hear.....we will never know the true story since we weren't there.

Super Contributor

Ella,

Thank you for posting the article from the NYTimes.

I, too, felt that Ms. Rivers had many more years left on this earth as so many of her admirers thought.

Esteemed Contributor

We will never know the real truth. This clinic is saving face and keeping their doors open. If anything negative come up the old medical director is to blame.

Super Contributor

On 9/13/2014 adelle38 said:

"There have been no accusations that Ms. Rivers’s treatment by Dr. Cohen or anyone else at the clinic caused her death, "

But you cut short the remainder of the sentence...

There have been no accusations that Ms. Rivers’s treatment by Dr. Cohen or anyone else at the clinic caused her death, which is being investigated by the New York State Health Department and the New York City medical examiner.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/nyregion/doctor-who-worked-on-joan-rivers-steps-down-from-post-at...

Trusted Contributor

It will be a while before all the results of Joan Rivers' death are released -- if ever.

However, her death is provoking a hard look at the prevalence of outpatient surgical centers that perform many kinds of minor procedures outside of a hospital. There was an interesting report on this on PBS Newshour last night. Having minor procedures like biopsies, colonoscopies, endoscopies, eye surgeries, etc. performed in such centers is much easier, quicker, and less expensive for patients and insurance companies. Most of the time such procedures are done safely. However, for the one in a million case where an unforeseen emergency occurs, there is no ER on site, sometimes limited emergency medical equipment........and basically the staff has to call 911. Something worth some thought!

Super Contributor

Imagine how we all feel, I am with you Sheese, but now imagine how bad Melissa feels? I can hardly comprehend it for her. This was a horrible thing, horrible, I will miss her so. I wear her evil eye bracelet every single day, I just feel terrible for the people that were her family....you can never get over something like this as a daughter, to think how healthy she was and it comes to this? I hope that clinics bank account goes straight to Melissa, but it still isn't enough to make up for what happened.

Super Contributor

On 9/13/2014 ical said:
On 9/13/2014 adelle38 said:

<em> "There have been no accusations that Ms. Rivers’s treatment by Dr. Cohen or anyone else at the clinic caused her death, "</em>

But you cut short the remainder of the sentence...

There have been no accusations that Ms. Rivers’s treatment by Dr. Cohen or anyone else at the clinic caused her death, which is being investigated by the New York State Health Department and the New York City medical examiner.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/nyregion/doctor-who-worked-on-joan-rivers-steps-down-from-post-at...

These types of investigation are rather routine. It does not mean that anyone is being accused of causing her death or being negligent.