Honored Contributor

Re: “Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work” Airs Tonight on PBS

Immediately following the premiere of American Masters: The Boomer List, American Masters will present an In Memoriam tribute broadcast of Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work (2010) on Tuesday, September 23, 10:30 p.m.-12 midnight on PBS (check local listings).

This broadcast of Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work marks the PBS premiere of the documentary for which PBS now has exclusive broadcast rights. After the broadcast, the film will be available here on the American Masters website for a limited time.

“I interviewed Joan Rivers for my PBS series Make ‘Em Laugh: The Funny Business of America back in 2006 and she was not only hilarious, but incredibly insightful,” said Michael Kantor, American Masters series executive producer.

“A familiar face in past American Masters films about Johnny Carson and Mel Brooks, Joan Rivers was a pioneer worthy of her own place in the series’ distinguished library. I’m pleased we’re able to bring Ricki Stern and Annie Sundberg’s moving documentary to audiences during this time of remembrance, and pay tribute to Joan.”

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up! I am a little torn, as I ordered the documentary on Amazon. It was out of stock until last Friday when they contacted me and said it was back in stock and ready to go. I ordered it. Now it is on FREE tv, oh well. I will keep it and I know my friends will want to borrow it.

Trusted Contributor

On 9/23/2014 shoekitty said:

Thanks for the heads up! I am a little torn, as I ordered the documentary on Amazon. It was out of stock until last Friday when they contacted me and said it was back in stock and ready to go. I ordered it. Now it is on FREE tv, oh well. I will keep it and I know my friends will want to borrow it.

The version on PBS now has been edited and censored so be glad you got it from Amazon. PBS is touting this as a tribute to Joan, but it's an insult to show a censored version of this great documentary. They've cut whole scenes and bleep any of George Carlin's "7 words". IMO they should either have shown it without editing or not at all.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

On 9/23/2014 adelle38 said:

The version on PBS now has been edited and censored so be glad you got it from Amazon. PBS is touting this as a tribute to Joan, but it's an insult to show a censored version of this great documentary. They've cut whole scenes and bleep any of George Carlin's "7 words". IMO they should either have shown it without editing or not at all.

I applaud your statement! I totally agree. Does anyone wonder why and how PBS obtained exclusive broadcast rights?

Esteemed Contributor

I have Time Warner and I was going to record the program at 4:00 A.M. but TWC changed their channel line up and it never recorded. I am so disgusted. We kept getting letters that they were going to change the channels but it never gave us a date.

Honored Contributor

On 9/23/2014 adelle38 said:

Thanks for letting me know. Now I am Happy. George Carlin's list of 7 words on television

are all said on tv now a days, except one. But it is only on cable television shows. I think PBS still has a "list", lol! I am glad I got the documentary then. Can't wait to watch it

Esteemed Contributor

The documentary "Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work" will also air on Saturday, September 27 and Monday, September 29 on PBS so check on your local listings for the times.

Honored Contributor

The PBS version is available on their American Masters website for a limited time.

Also, for anyone with Comcast, check your On Demand because the original, unedited documentary is offered there in some locales.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

I had forgotten that I had seen that before but I watched it again. Actually I watched it on PBS American Masters on the internet. The one think that Joan said really struck me. She said as to getting to live so long, it is sad because there isn't anyone left to remember things that you had done together. No one to share memories together with people of your own age group.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/25/2014 Cookie06 said:

I had forgotten that I had seen that before but I watched it again. Actually I watched it on PBS American Masters on the internet. The one think that Joan said really struck me. She said as to getting to live so long, it is sad because there isn't anyone left to remember things that you had done together. No one to share memories together with people of your own age group.

The way she talked about that really got to me as well. I've never seen the "unedited" version, but in this one I think she showed her emotions much more when talking about this than in any other part of the documentary. I did enjoy the whole thing very much.

Edited to say: I just learned a new word that is not allowed - it wouldn't allow the first word I used where "unedited" is now.....Geeez, I'm sure many of us have no idea what is allowed anymore - I guess I need to read through the entire Urban Dictionary!

Joan would never have been allowed to say much on these forums judging from what I'm learning! Sad.....{#emotions_dlg.unsure}